What's new

Solved Cannot create and start a new OpenVPN server on GT-AXE11000 due to ipv6 error (ipv6 disabled)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ircident

New Around Here
Hi, I just flashed 386.5 on a brand new GT-AXE11000 and all is working perfectly apart from my inability to create OpenVPN server. I'm getting a strange invalid ipv6 address when I try to start the server. I have ipv6 disabled on the router. Not entirely sure how to debug this. Everything is pretty much at default apart from some static IP's set in the DHCP server settings.

1647282192757.png

I didn't as I read in the docs that came with the firmware that it wasn't necessary. I've been using merlin for several years on my ac68-rt and the port for the R7000. I've only done a full reset when coming from dd-wrt. I'd do a full reset if I didn't spend a long time adding a massive list of static IP dhcp entries. I wish I could export the config for those.

The R7000 port is illegal.

The current Merlin release has diverged quite a lot from stock Asus regarding its VPN implementation. It's usually quicker/better to do a factory reset rather than chasing down obscure bugs.

That said, can you post a screen shot of your Advanced Settings and I'll compare them to mine. There should be a field called "VPN IPv6 prefix/length" which is set to fd00:ac68:1:: and 64.

The R7000 port is illegal.

The current Merlin release has diverged quite a lot from stock Asus regarding its VPN implementation. It's usually quicker/better to do a factory reset rather than chasing down obscure bugs.

That said, can you post a screen shot of your Advanced Settings and I'll compare them to mine. There should be a field called "VPN IPv6 prefix/length" which is set to fd00:ac68:1:: and 64.
It was actually just today I read that the R7000 port was illegal. I was reading the read before posting topic and saw that! Not ideal :/ I've taken the R7000 out of service now.

Here are my advanced settings (I haven't changed anything at this point):

1647284791208.png

The VPN IPv6 prefix is invalid. It should not include the /64. No doubt it got mangled trying to convert it from stock to Merlin.

Change it to fd00:ac68:1:: which is the default Merlin value for Server 1. fd00:ac68:2:: is the default for Server 2 should you use that also.

Everything else looks fine. But I'd suggest you change the default port to something other than 1194 after you've confirmed it's working.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help. That solved it! I've changed the default port and setup user logins.

Cheers

The docs should really flat out say to do a factory default when going to Merlin from anything no matter what. None of this "it should not be needed" crap.