What's new

cannot flash with RT-AX86U_386.4_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

karmic913

New Around Here
Hi

I have just installed my new RT-AX86U and upgraded it with latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45934

rebooted

Attempted to flash it with lastest Asus-Merlin RT-AX86U_386.4_0, but I get this error message:

"asus merlin "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This might result from incorrect image or error transmission""

Any idea?

THank you!

Hi

I have just installed my new RT-AX86U and upgraded it with latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45934

rebooted

Attempted to flash it with lastest Asus-Merlin RT-AX86U_386.4_0, but I get this error message:

"asus merlin "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This might result from incorrect image or error transmission""

Any idea?

THank you!
Welcome to the forum!

Not confusing AX68U with AX86U maybe?

Hi

rebooted

Any idea?

THank you!

Another one did you validate the update point to the firmware and not the zip file.

It comes in a .zip container. You havet to extract the image out of that container.
Right click on the file and choose extract here
Oh yes - I did that, thank you.

The file I end up selecting for upload is named
RT-AX86U_386.4_0_cferom_pureubi.w

The AX86U is local correct? Your not trying to update a remote AX86U?
The reason I ask is that I have been unsuccessful in upgrading a remote AX86U multiple times, OpenVPN off/on, reboot, disable jffs scripts, 3 different browsers, downloaded the .w file from both Sourceforge and OneDrive, etc…

BTW, is there a way to upgrade using CLI/ssh?

Last edited:
Not to take this thread too far off topic.
I see an hnd-write on the remote AX86U. From what I have read, it is the HND replacemeant for mtd-write2.
Anyone ever use it to flash a local copy of the .w file on an AX86U?
If so, successful? What was the command line?

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 156
here it is - what are you looking for?
Clear your internet cache, get rid of all other update downloads,

REDOWNLOAD CLEAN AX86U HERE:

Put the router in "Rescue Mode" and use the utility to flash Merlin.

Utilities

Version 2.1.0.3

2021/10/27 1.25 MBytes

ASUS Firmware Restoration version 2.1.0.3
OS support: Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10/11
Firmware Restoration is used on an ASUS Wireless Router that failed during its firmware upgrading process. It uploads the firmware that you specify.

NOTE: This is not a firmware upgrade utility and cannot be used on a working ASUS Wireless Router. Normal firmware upgrades must be done through the web interface.

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
Clear your internet cache, get rid of all other update downloads,

REDOWNLOAD CLEAN AX86U HERE:

Put the router in "Rescue Mode" and use the utility to flash Merlin.

Utilities

Version 2.1.0.3

2021/10/27 1.25 MBytes

ASUS Firmware Restoration version 2.1.0.3
OS support: Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10/11
Firmware Restoration is used on an ASUS Wireless Router that failed during its firmware upgrading process. It uploads the firmware that you specify.

NOTE: This is not a firmware upgrade utility and cannot be used on a working ASUS Wireless Router. Normal firmware upgrades must be done through the web interface.

DOWNLOAD
Thanks for your inputs

Prior to reading your reply, I opted to reset the router to factory settings, and flashing with Merlin worked after that. I guess I had too many custom settings in place already.

Thanks for your inputs

Prior to reading your reply, I opted to reset the router to factory settings, and flashing with Merlin worked after that. I guess I had too many custom settings in place already.

What you did was easier in the long run, just a plain router reset.
You should have done a second Reset after the flash to Merlin, then after the reboot then apply your settings.

The method I outlined is for more serious, nothing works, issues. I've done it quite a number of times.

Glad you got past your problem.