What's new

Cannot get connection to use VPN DNS Servers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TanyaC

Regular Contributor
I have the VPN adapter, my ethernet adapter and the router (tried both on WAN and LAN DNS settings), set to my VPN provider's DNS addresses. No matter what I do, ipleak and other such websites report that I am using my ISPs DNS.

What am I missing?

I use NordVPN. OpenVPN is installed on PCs. The NordVPN client is not installed (bloatware etc).
So its the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 that's used. Windows 10 x64.

Firmware 384.11; RT-AC88u.
Internet: 100/40 NBN FTTP.

DNS servers configured: 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100. I also use the OpenDNS servers for PCs not on VPN. (or at least I thought i was until OpenDNS reported no traffic from my connection in months).

DNS leak test sites report cloudflare 162.158.1.33.

ISP is DNS Hijacking?

Last edited:
I'm also using NordVPN. I can't recreate this problem. I always get a DNS IP address associated with the VPN gateway.

The only way I can change this is by putting a DNS address in the ovpn config file.

VPN1.png VPN2.png

EDIT: The test site won't show 103.86.96.100 or 103.86.99.100 when the VPN is active if that's what you're thinking.

Last edited:
EDIT: The test site won't show 103.86.96.100 or 103.86.99.100 when the VPN is active if that's what you're thinking.

Well, this is laughable. I am working through a ticket with NordVPN where I can't run ranked games on some servers, and the speeds for all servers not in my state lost 70%-90% speeds since just over a week ago. A bunch of their servers are unreachable, the rest are appallingly slow, and their pointing the finger for ranked games squarely at Clouflare saying my problems are caused by the fact that I am not using their DNS server. ipleak and several other sites all report cloudfront as my DNS server.

They believe ipleak and such sites to be the gospel as far as what DNS servers are being used.

So, how do I prove that my DNS queries are going through their DNS servers and stop them trying to wash their hands of the problems.

It doesn't look like this is a Merlin or configuration issue then, for which I apologize, but looking at the most recent firmware it's probably time I upgraded anyway.

Attachments

• DNS_Servers.png
    DNS_Servers.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
NordVPN Client software for Windows is very good, actually.

I did test it when I first signed up, but 9 processes, a kill switch that doesn't always work, telemetry (I guess for their "recommended server" feature, which ALWAYS picked the worst possible server), and a few minor issue I had at the time scared me away. it's been 2 years since I last tried it perhaps I should look at it again.

Sorry, I know this is off topic.

I don't know what exactly problems you see, but NordVPN uses multiple DNS servers. The DNS server changes with the VPN server I connect to when the client is set to Auto. And all those DNS servers are NordVPN DNS servers apparently, because the service works as advertised. I don't see any DNS leaks to any ISP or public DNS servers.

Every site I go to to find my dns servers all report cloudflare...

Attachments

• whoismydns.png
    whoismydns.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 119
I don't know what exactly problems you see.

It's more what NordVPN tech support see. According to them I am not using their DNS servers because sites like ipleak all say that I am using cloudflare's DNS server. As a result, they won't pursue a support ticket until I can get ipleak to show their DNS servers.

Their suggestions so far

(1). You're gaming problems could be caused by Clourflare's DNS Server. I can't get into games because they time out.

(2). The terrible speed test results you're seeing could be a result of using cloudflare's DNS server.

(3). Your AV product could be the problem. Except I've told them multiple time I am not running any AV products.

Last edited:
Some joy. Firefox has DoH enabled and set to cloud flare. Disabled that and now the IP address of the server I am connecting to is showing as the DNS server. DoH sounds like a good idea in theory though

NordVPN Client software for Windows is very good, actually.

I was going to try to pm you as this is getting away from Merlin discussion, but couldn't find how to.

Anyway, Installed the client software. 4 Processes. Much better than 9 from two years ago. The Quick Connect is still broken, picking the worst server every time. I set it to start with Windows and auto connect to a specific server, which works, but it takes 3 times longer than the OpenVPN manual setup I had. (12 seconds vs 4 seconds).

Also, NSCI always shows "No Internet" though the Internet works fine.

I couldn't see a way to disable updates. I never allow programs to auto update. If something breaks I have to visit multiple PCs to fix the crisis. Stability is the main priority.