What's new

Cannot open ports 80, 443 on X4s 7800? I need those for webservers...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Josjev

New Around Here
Hi all,

I cannot seem to open up the above ports on my brand new Nighthawk X4S / 7800.

Several other ports opened up without a problem, but not these, which I badly need to make my web servers available to the public.

I am using the latest Voxel firmware (never tried stock firmware).

Even after extensive googling I did not find a clear answer/solution other than that netgear firmware may have blocked these ports for the web-ui. If so, how can I tackle this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I cannot seem to open up the above ports on my brand new Nighthawk X4S / 7800.

Several other ports opened up without a problem, but not these, which I badly need to make my web servers available to the public.

I am using the latest Voxel firmware (never tried stock firmware).

Even after extensive googling I did not find a clear answer/solution other than that netgear firmware may have blocked these ports for the web-ui. If so, how can I tackle this?

Thanks in advance!

There was similar request from eliz82 user. Check this trick:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40181#comment-40181

But please read at least until this message

https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40198#comment-40198

there was a misprint in my initial hints.

And of course you should use your own webserver (e.g. nginx from Entware). Not NG's.

Voxel.

Thanks Voxel,

Do i understand correctly your trick is for opening ports 80 and 443 on the NG box itself?

I do not want to run any webserver on the NG box itself; only make my existing Linux and Windows standalone servers on LAN accessible from WAN.

I therefore need port 80 and 443 passthrough, which i thought i could set up with the standard port forward feature in the UI which works fine for other ports such as 873 or 25.

Can you confirm this normally should work in your FW or NG stock FW? I could not find any documentation this is not possible and would be shocked if NG blocks 80 and 443 passthrough altogether...

I do not want to run any webserver on the NG box itself; only make my existing Linux and Windows standalone servers on LAN accessible from WAN.

I therefore need port 80 and 443 passthrough, which i thought i could set up with the standard port forward feature in the UI which works fine for other ports such as 873 or 25.
If so you do not need any trick. Port forwarding should work for ports 80/443 too. I have webserver installed on my Linux computer (LAN) and it is accessible by 80 and 443 from the WAN...

Voxel.

If so you do not need any trick. Port forwarding should work for ports 80/443 too. I have webserver installed on my Linux computer (LAN) and it is accessible by 80 and 443 from the WAN...

Voxel.
OK thanks, this is an important confirmation for me. I installed your FW on top op unconfigured NG FW and also did a factory reset after I installed your FW. Therefore the problem must be caused by my ISP. My modem/router was set to bridge mode by them on my request a few days ago, perhaps something is not in order. I will test my connection one more time using my old wifi router. If that also does not work it HAS to be my ISP.

Just to update - solved.

Turns out it was indeed the R7800 which did not forward ports 80 and 443. After several reboots of both modem and router I got port 80 working, not 443. Next thing I did was hook up my old WNDR3700 which worked fine for all ports. So I re-hooked up the R7800, backed-up my config using the GUI and restored to factory settings. After that it worked.

However, something strange: after restoring my previous settings, it turns out even my old WAN-IP was restored, and again everything seemed to work except port 443! Renewing the lease did not bring any improvement and it did seem to persist in keeping the old WAN-IP. In my opinion the WAN settings should never be backed up should they?

Anyway I just restored factory defaults one more time and reconfigured from scratch.

Just to update - solved.

Turns out it was indeed the R7800 which did not forward ports 80 and 443. After several reboots of both modem and router I got port 80 working, not 443. Next thing I did was hook up my old WNDR3700 which worked fine for all ports. So I re-hooked up the R7800, backed-up my config using the GUI and restored to factory settings. After that it worked.

However, something strange: after restoring my previous settings, it turns out even my old WAN-IP was restored, and again everything seemed to work except port 443! Renewing the lease did not bring any improvement and it did seem to persist in keeping the old WAN-IP. In my opinion the WAN settings should never be backed up should they?

Anyway I just restored factory defaults one more time and reconfigured from scratch.

With a saved config file, someone will complain it stores (and restores) too much, and someone else will complain it stores too little. :)

I don't use saved config files for use of firmware changes (or troubleshooting), I use them to quickly get a customers network back up if I was making experimental changes for them. ;)

When you need to do a full reset to factory defaults, you must follow up with a minimal and manual configuration of the router to connect it to the ISP and fully secure it. At this point create a saved config file. Now experiment away, knowing that with the currently installed firmware, you are just a few minutes away from a stable and usable network. :) :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!