What's new

Cannot port forward to a machine behind the VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madfusker

Regular Contributor
I have a NAS server running subsonic and have been excluding it from the VPN, mostly just for crashplan backup speed. But now with my 86U I should be able to put it behind the VPN as well. My router that is not inside the VPN does a port forward to the service port of the NAS, and life is good until I put the NAS inside the VPN. How can I still port forward if it goes inside the VPN?

VPN Policy Rules (strict):
All LAN 192.168.1.0/24 0.0.0.0 VPN
router 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 WAN
NAS 192.168.1.10 0.0.0.0 WAN

Port forward on the WAN:
Subsonic 4041 192.168.1.10 4041 TCP

How can I still port forward if it goes inside the VPN?
You can't, it's a contradiction. Port forwarding forwards traffic arriving on the router's WAN IP address to an internal server. The server replies through the same route. If your NAS traffic is being redirected through a VPN service then the incoming traffic would have to come in through this route also.

The only way I can see where it might work would be if you could somehow create a VPN rule that excluded traffic to and from port 4041 on the NAS. AFAIK that's not an option.

Ah, I see. It looks like the NAS will have to stay outside the VPN then. I don't really trust port forwarding on the VPN service, but believe it's possible.

Ah, I see. It looks like the NAS will have to stay outside the VPN then. I don't really trust port forwarding on the VPN service, but believe it's possible.

If the NAS is routed via the VPN, can you try:
Code:
ip rule del fwmark 0x7000/0x7000 2> /dev/null
ip rule add fwmark 0x7000/0x7000 table 100 prio 9990
ip route flush cache

NAS_Server='192.168.1.10'

# Remember port 4041 must also already be port forwarded using the normal GUI rules!
iptables -t mangle -D PREROUTING -i br0 --src $NAS_Server -p tcp -m multiport --sport 4041 -j MARK --set-mark 0x7000/0x7000 2> /dev/null
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 --src $NAS_Server -p tcp -m multiport --sport 4041 -j MARK --set-mark 0x7000/0x7000