What's new

Cannot remote connect to SMB share and VPN not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Petman

New Around Here
Hi there, and thank you RMerlin for this great work.

I hope someone can help me out with the following:

I flashed my Asus RT-AC66U from the original Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.979 to Merlin Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.35_4. I did a manual reboot afterwards (power cycle).

After that I have two problems: I cannot connect anymore via WAN (remotely) to my SMB share (from within my LAN there's no problem connecting to this SMB share) and I cannot remotely connect anymore via VPN to my LAN at all (with the original embedded VPN Server from Asus).
The SMB share is a 4TB USB disc. Strange enough I still can remotely connect to it without problems via FTP.

To be clear: with the orginal firmware I had no problems connecting via VPN or SMB. I didn't change anything in users, passwords and so on. Even when I choose "Share without account" it's not connecting. I've tried it using a Mac and Windows PC.

Did I miss something that needs to be enbled or configured? I didn't change anything, just flashed it with the custom firmware. Knowledge level = newby :eek:

Thanks!
Peter

So just to be sure I reverted back to the original Asus firmware. Remote SMB and VPN were working okay like before. Then I switched back to the Merlin firmware and it's gone again.....
Anyone?

I am having the same VPN problem... see my thread...

Happy to see i am not the only one!