What's new

Cannot SSH to router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keef

I have an Asus AXC88U and I cannot SSH into it. I am using Putty on both a Windows box and a Linux box. The connection times out. Internet wise the router is working fine. I have SSH enabled, LAN only, pwd login enabled and the port # is correct. I have rebooted several times (switch and unplug the power cable) and reset the router to factory defaults still with no luck.

I am using Merlin 388.1 and I am open to any ideas!

thanks

Idea no.1: If you are going through a YazFi setup guest SSID you won't be able to connect to the router's WebUI, because security...
*Tripped over this last night trying to replicate a different issue.

You don’t have any Access Restrictions enabled at the bottom of the Administration / System page?

I was doing more looking around and I cannot ping the router. This is getting weird. I turned the f/w off and still nothing. This has never happened to me.

What name or IP are you using? Are you certain it’s correct?

SSH is enabled, LAN only, the port matches, and pwd login is enabled.
Thats not what I’m asking about. At the bottom ”Remote Access Config”…

Jus5 in case it is this issue is only In a certain version of Merlin. I downgraded to 386.8

Under Network Tools, run the netstat with the options shown and confirm the router IP is listening on port 22.

1675875917188.png

I am having the same problem. I do not see dropbear in log. I have done a hard factory reset (2) yesterday and again today. Same.
No big changes, I use @L&LD suggested settings here. I am wanting to get the NextDNS CLI on the router to try out.

I am having the same problem. I do not see dropbear in log. I have done a hard factory reset (2) yesterday and again today. Same.
No big changes, I use @L&LD suggested settings here. I am wanting to get the NextDNS CLI on the router to try out.
If you followed all those suggestions you would have changed the listening port for SSH. I suggest you don't do that and change it back to the default port (22).

I did not change it, remains default port 22. I read that in another thread here dated 2019 so I did not revive it.

Is that a wrong set up guide to follow? Seems to work ok, but then I am new to this network stuff. Thx!

How are you attempting to connect to the router? What SSH client are you using? What hostname or IP address are you using?

PuTTY, and IP Address off the LAN settings page.

PuTTY, and IP Address off the LAN settings page.
Then it should work. There's nothing special that needs to be done if you're using a fairly basic setup (i.e. not connecting to guest Wi-Fi, VPN clients, have access controls, etc.).

Ok, I think it might be ok. I rebooted router again.

So now using PuTTY, I have a window that asks for, login as:
Do I use this example to do so? That seems to use DropBear, and I'm still not seeing that running in log.

Just tried that but no go. Used my router login ID, enter, then asks for password, locked, no key response, just a green box. So I can not enter my password.

Just tried that but no go. Used my router login ID, enter, then asks for password, locked, no key response, just a green box. So I can not enter my password.
When you enter your password you won't see any feedback (e.g. cursor movement or characters being displayed). Just enter the password and press Enter.