What's new

Cannot upgrade to 388.1 or 388.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nevsl

New Around Here
Hi everybody,

I am user of merlin wrt for my router AX88U, I cannot upgrade firmware from 386.8.
Trying to Upgrade to 388.1 or to the latest 388.2 gave me an error (see attached file).
Is somebody can help me to figure out why without resetting the whole thing?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-13_12-38-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-13_12-38-54.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 95
Probably works but it was part of my request "without resetting the whole thing" :) I have a lot of setup inside which could take me a lot of time to do it again

Don't remember the exact date, but for sure last year. I am running on the 386.8 for a long time. I have already tried to upgrade to 388.1 but it failed as well. I thought it was about this specific version and waiting for the next one to test: 388.2. I test it today and failed as well as the 388.1. It is possible this is causing by something in my setup but I don't know what

I’d just save the settings to a cfg file, backup Jffs, update all AMTM Scripts, reset to stock, and try to upload new firmware. If that works you should be able to restore most of the settings via the cfg file. Then you my have to resinstall scripts / amtm and format the swap, if that’s the case, i find that setting up those are not to burnden some.

if the upload of the new firmware fails after stock reset, you should be able to roll back.

if it were me, that’s a significant difference in firmware versions and i would do a clean install even if I had the choice.

Anything plugged into the routers USB port?

I’d just save the settings to a cfg file, backup Jffs, update all AMTM Scripts, reset to stock, and try to upload new firmware. If that works you should be able to restore most of the settings via the cfg file. Then you my have to resinstall scripts / amtm and format the swap, if that’s the case, i find that setting up those are not to burnden some.

if the upload of the new firmware fails after stock reset, you should be able to roll back.

if it were me, that’s a significant difference in firmware versions and i would do a clean install even if I had the choice.
OK, will do that in last chance but prefer to avoid resetting the whole thing.

Ok, I'll bite. What's the definition of an Electrical Reset? I did a power cycle, powered off, waited 10 sec, powered on, still having a problem. An update check indicates
Current Version : 386.9
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : 386.10

My version of an Electrical Reset: Pull the power plug from the device/router. Pull the power plug from the AC wall outlet. Leave the power button in the 'on' position. Wait 2 minutes or more. Power everything up again.

And for a more detailed description, see the link below, starting at Step 8.