What's new

Can't access either node of my XT8 through a switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

philb2

New Around Here
I have already set up MERLIN in my main XT8 node "downstairs" at 192.168.1.1. Works fine with a laptop connected directly to the XT8 node. But when I tried to access this node from my desktop system "upstairs," the connection attempt just hung forever. That access was via a switch connected to the "upstairs" XT8 node, which is 192.168.1.166. When I tried to access the XT8 "upstairs" node from my desktop via that switch, that connection also hung.

As a Merlin and XT8 newbie, did I overlook something in the fine print. Or is there a fix? If it matters, the "upstairs" node is still running the stock ASUS firmware.

I have already set up MERLIN in my main XT8 node "downstairs" at 192.168.1.1. Works fine with a laptop connected directly to the XT8 node. But when I tried to access this node from my desktop system "upstairs," the connection attempt just hung forever. That access was via a switch connected to the "upstairs" XT8 node, which is 192.168.1.166. When I tried to access the XT8 "upstairs" node from my desktop via that switch, that connection also hung.

As a Merlin and XT8 newbie, did I overlook something in the fine print. Or is there a fix? If it matters, the "upstairs" node is still running the stock ASUS firmware.

So you have the two XT8s connected together using wired backhaul, with a switch in the path? Is it a dumb switch or smart switch (web interface, VLAN support etc)?

When you plug your laptop into the switch, can you access the internet at all?

The backhaul link uses VLANs, and I believe they tag VLAN 1, so if it is a dumb switch it will pass it (usually) but other things connected to the switch won't be able to see it. In that case I wouldn't expect you to have internet access from that wired device either.

If your PC NIC supports VLANs, you could attempt to set it to VLAN 1 tagged (some don't allow tagging VLAN 1 though) and see if you can then access it. Sort of a hack, may or may not work.

If you can run another cable from either one of the XT8s from one of their LAN ports into the switch, that probably will give you access. There should not be a spanning tree loop if the backhaul VLAN 1 is tagged but the LAN port isn't.

If it is a smart switch then you can configure it to do what you want without running extra cables. But if it was a smart switch and you haven't done any VLAN configuration, I would not expect the wired backhaul to be working at all (the two XT8s wouldn't be able to see each other until you configure the necessary VLANs on the switch).

So you have the two XT8s connected together using wired backhaul, with a switch in the path? Is it a dumb switch or smart switch (web interface, VLAN support etc)?

Uh, I guess I didn't provide anywhere near enough detail. Sorry about that.

The two XT8s are connected via WiFi. The upstairs switch is used only to connect 3 systems and 2 printers that are in the upstairs home office, plus of course a connection between the upstairs XT8 and the switch.

The downstairs XT8 is connected to my Arris cable modem, as well as to a Hypersonic GN30B switch (plus Ethernet) that serves in effect as a docking station for any of our laptops. That GN30B is also connected to a keyboard/mouse and a 24" monitor.

When you plug your laptop into the switch, can you access the internet at all?

When I plug in a laptop to the downstairs XT8 directly with an Ethernet cable, I have no problem accessing the Internet. Similarly, any of the upstairs home office systems can access the Internet, no problems.

The backhaul link uses VLANs, and I believe they tag VLAN 1, so if it is a dumb switch it will pass it (usually) but other things connected to the switch won't be able to see it. In that case I wouldn't expect you to have internet access from that wired device either.

If your PC NIC supports VLANs, you could attempt to set it to VLAN 1 tagged (some don't allow tagging VLAN 1 though) and see if you can then access it. Sort of a hack, may or may not work.

If you can run another cable from either one of the XT8s from one of their LAN ports into the switch, that probably will give you access. There should not be a spanning tree loop if the backhaul VLAN 1 is tagged but the LAN port isn't.

If it is a smart switch then you can configure it to do what you want without running extra cables. But if it was a smart switch and you haven't done any VLAN configuration, I would not expect the wired backhaul to be working at all (the two XT8s wouldn't be able to see each other until you configure the necessary VLANs on the switch).
Thank you for this information. Does it apply if I am the XT8s are connected via WiFi. Is there something I overlooked here?

Uh, I guess I didn't provide anywhere near enough detail. Sorry about that.

The two XT8s are connected via WiFi. The upstairs switch is used only to connect 3 systems and 2 printers that are in the upstairs home office, plus of course a connection between the upstairs XT8 and the switch.

The downstairs XT8 is connected to my Arris cable modem, as well as to a Hypersonic GN30B switch (plus Ethernet) that serves in effect as a docking station for any of our laptops. That GN30B is also connected to a keyboard/mouse and a 24" monitor.

When I plug in a laptop to the downstairs XT8 directly with an Ethernet cable, I have no problem accessing the Internet. Similarly, any of the upstairs home office systems can access the Internet, no problems.

Thank you for this information. Does it apply if I am the XT8s are connected via WiFi. Is there something I overlooked here?

OK wifi backhaul, what I said doesn't apply.

So when you plug directly into the upstairs XT8, can you access the GUI of both devices? Same with the downstairs?

A device plugged into the downstairs docking station can access both GUIs or no (I would think so since it is essentially just a PC connected directly).

Everything has internet access, the only issue is with connecting to the admin interface of the XT8s when plugged into the upstairs switch? But devices plugged into the upstairs switch have internet access?

To confirm, the upstairs switch and the docking station are definitely plugged into LAN ports on the XT8s, not WAN or a port enabled for wired backhaul (I'm assuming you're using 5GHZ-2 for backhaul, but just want to make sure you don't have wired configured on that port.

What is the subnet mask your PCs are getting, 255.255.255.0 and they're getting IPs in the 192.168.1.x range?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!