What's new

Can't access my server in my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fanch

New Around Here
Hi

I have the following new configuration:
In my cellar I have a router Netgear WNR3500. To it is connected, a Windows Home Server and another router Netgear R6200. This second router is in the attic and is my main wifi access in the house.
I can't get access to the Home Server from the second router. It is just not seen when I map the network as seen by the second router. As a result, I cant use the server if I do not connect to the first network.
Could someone help me out?

thanks

Francois

Probably NAT, or overlapping subnets. On whichever device is not connected to your modem:
  • change the management IP to something unlikely to conflict with other devices (192.168.1.254 would be ok with the default settings on both routers)
  • turn off DHCP on that device
  • connect the uplink to a LAN port (not WAN)
  • have devices behind that router obtain a new IP lease, rebooting will usually do it (devices with a static IP may need to be reconfigured)
This will put your devices on the same network segment so they can communicate with each other.

Hi

In my cellar I have a router Netgear WNR3500. To it is connected, a Windows Home Server and another router Netgear R6200. This second router is in the attic and is my main wifi access in the house.
I can't get access to the Home Server from the second router. It is just not seen when I map the network as seen by the second router. As a result, I cant use the server if I do not connect to the first network.

thanks

Francois
Second router: Don't use the WAN port. Configure it as an Access Point (see FAQ on that there).

the comment about having multiple DHCP servers is very valid - you might have accidentally created two non-routable subnets...

If network a is 192.158.1.0/24 and network b is 192.168.0.0/24 - devices on both subnets can see the internet, but they won't see each other...

Ideally, you should only have a single DHCP server - on the primary router - the secondary should not have a DHCP server.

There's a good how-to on the primary site that deals with the specifics

Hi

thanks

Francois

Second router should have a static IP address and not be using DHCP that features should be disabled along with the NAT, SFI or any firewall on it. Let the main Router do all of that management.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!