What's new

Can't add Static DHCP entry any more - Merlin 382.1/RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ggbal

Occasional Visitor
Has 20 entries in the static DHCP table. Wanted to add another one. Once you add that (clicking "+" sign"), I could see that new entry in the table below. But after I click "apply", that entry disappeared after the completion.

Merlin 328.1
RT-AC86U

Anyone has seen the same problem and knows the fix?

Just do it again. I saw it a couple of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it multiple times. I even went to the network map and used MAc to IP binding over there. But once it was applied, the DHCP table still doesn't show that entry. Is there a nvram command to bind it using the command line?

What is the current length of your dhcp_staticlist nvram?

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

382 has nvram length validation to protect against buffer overruns, and the RT-AC86U has some of these hardcoded in closed-source components so I can't increase their maximum length.

It fixed in 382.1_2. Thanks, RMerlin.

Thank Asus. They have moved the dhcp_staticlist variable to a file, allowing them to reach the full 2500 characters limit.

Do I still use the same old nvram get/set for dhcp_staticlist, or did moving it to a file change the way I should update it?

Something changed. I just submitted an nvram set dhcp_statulist, and my router went into a reboot loop. I had to reset it to factory defaults with the reset button.

Last edited:
Do I still use the same old nvram get/set for dhcp_staticlist, or did moving it to a file change the way I should update it?

It's transparent to the user,the libnvram function will automatically address the connect location when using the nvram user tool.

I might have found what changed. I have this item (among others) in dhcp_staticlist
  • <50:9a:4c:ba:bc:bc>192.168.8.82>susanpc
and I have these items in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
  • dhcp-host=50:9a:4C:ba:bc:bc,192.168.8.82,susanpc

• dhcp-host=34:f6:4b:72:80:a3,192.168.8.83,susanpc
I'm now seeing this in my logs:
  • dnsmasq[2540]: FAILED to start up
It used to be OK to have dnsmasq.conf.add override dhcp_staticlist, but sometime in the last few months, this appears to have become illegal. I'm using dnsmasq.conf.add because I have a PC with an Ethernet and a WiFi NIC and I want that PC to have the same DNS name regardless of the interface but different IP addresses.

Which brings me to the question: Since I have to put some of my DHCP+DNS entries in dnsmasq.conf.add, is there any reason I shouldn't move ALL of my items from dhcp_staticlist to dnsmasq.conf.add?

dhcp-host=50:9a:4C:ba:bc:bc,34:f6:4b:72:80:a3,192.168.8.82,susanpc

This might help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have found what changed. I have this item (among others) in dhcp_staticlist
  • <50:9a:4c:ba:bc:bc>192.168.8.82>susanpc
and I have these items in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
  • dhcp-host=50:9a:4C:ba:bc:bc,192.168.8.82,susanpc

• dhcp-host=34:f6:4b:72:80:a3,192.168.8.83,susanpc

Which brings me to the question: Since I have to put some of my DHCP+DNS entries in dnsmasq.conf.add, is there any reason I shouldn't move ALL of my items from dhcp_staticlist to dnsmasq.conf.add?

I believe prior to Firmware v382.x, '/etc/ethers' was created from the NVRAM dhcp_staticlist and dnsmasq.conf contained a directive ?
Code:
read-ethers /etc/ethers

Now under v382.x, the dhcp_staticlist is merged directly into '/etc/dnsmasq.conf', using dhcp-host= statements, so you now end up with possible duplicate entries when '/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add' is appended to the end of '/etc/dnsmasq.conf'

Last edited: