What's new

Can't connect to ADSL Router via External IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gliderguider

New Around Here
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a little advice before I spend eny more evenings pulling my hair out at 1am!

I have a Speedtouch (Thomson) ST585 ADSL Modem Router as provided by my ISP, and I have just purchased a Synology DS210j NAS, which from first impressions is the best gadget I have ever bought!

I can logon to the Router via it's internal IP address (192.168.blah) but not from the Dynamic IP address that my ISP has allocated to my router. Should this be the case?

I am trying to direct anything coming in on port 5000 to the DiskStation, but can't seem to even get that far. If I ping the external IP address, it returns as found, but If I try to put the IP in as a URL, it just times out.

On top of this, I'll eventually want to put in a DynDNS host name to the address, but for now, would just like to be able to a) access my router from it's external IP and b) get anything directed to port 5000 to go to the diskstation.

If it makes any difference, I am using Ubuntu but have access to a Vista partition that I could dust off if required.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

First, check the Speedtouch to see if it has an enable for remote access. For security reasons, many routers now do and ship with it disabled. If this is the case, then you won't be able to use the WAN IP to access the router's admin.

Assign the DS210j a static IP and forward port 5000 to that IP on the Speedtouch.

It sounds like the Speedtouch might not support NAT loopback, which is the ability to access LAN-side servers by using your WAN IP. If this is the case, you may not be able to test the port forwarding directly.

But you can try hitting your WAN IP from the Web Page Analyzer, instead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!