What's new

Can't connect to CherryPy services

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marrus

New Around Here
SOLVED - Can't connect to CherryPy services

I run several applications which I use port forwarding to expose so I can access them from outside of my home network.

I run Air Video and Calibre, and a couple of python applications that use CherryPy as their embedded web server.

After setting up a new RT-AC66U as my router, I found that port forwarding did not work for the CherryPy-based applications. Air Video and Calibre worked without any problems.

After some more testing, I found that I can access the CherryPy apps from the PC they run on, by connecting to localhost or explicitly using the IP address.

However, I was not able to connect using the (internal) IP address from a machine (inside my home network) other than the PC running the services.

What's going on and how can I fix it?

Last edited:
The following minimal cherrypy service exhibits the problem that I described.

import cherrypy
class HelloWorld(object):
def index(self):
return "Hello World!"
index.exposed = True

cherrypy.config.update({'server.socket_port': 30596})
cherrypy.quickstart(HelloWorld())

I figured out what was causing the problem.

When I was setting up the router, I apparently accidentally configured the network in Windows 7 to Public rather than Home.

I had previously configured the CherryPy services to not be accessible in a Public network.

The solution was to change the network location to Home.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!