What's new

Can't connect to Guest Networks. DHCP issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rowbby

Occasional Visitor
Wireless clients can connect to the regular 2.4/5 Ghz WiFi networks just fine, but no one can connect to the Guest Networks. I've tried both bands, different keys and encryption settings and just an open network. Doesn't seem to be an authentication issue, more like a DHCP lease issue. DHCP is turned on with manual/static assignments and the clients I'm testing with have reservations. I turned on logging and see lots of these dropped packets:

DROP <4>DROP IN=wl0.2 OUT= MAC=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:[mac] <1>SRC=0.0.0.0 DST=255.255.255.255 <1>LEN=328 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=8075 PROTO=UDP <1>SPT=68 DPT=67 LEN=308

Is there anything that could be preventing the router from assigning guests leases/addresses?

Thanks!

RT-N66U on 380.65_4

I have the same issue, but I have actually manually added a valid IP address to the Guest Network client (my PC), and it still won't connect to the internet. I am running an RT-AC56U using build: 380.65_4. I hope someone can help.

In "Wireless Log", I can see a guest client trying to connect that has flags: _A_G. The "connected time" makes it up to 0:00:20 and then resets back to zero.
I don't think it's a DHCP issue anymore despite the dropped packets since, like you said, even with a static/manual address there's no internet.
Something wrong with subnetting?
Doesn't seem to be a widespread issue since I couldn't find any other reports/complaints...

In "Wireless Log", I can see a guest client trying to connect that has flags: _A_G. The "connected time" makes it up to 0:00:20 and then resets back to zero.
I don't think it's a DHCP issue anymore despite the dropped packets since, like you said, even with a static/manual address there's no internet.
Something wrong with subnetting?
Doesn't seem to be a widespread issue since I couldn't find any other reports/complaints...

A means it's Associated, but not authenticated. That's a client that's trying to connect, but failing to provide an appropriate WPA2 key. It talks to the wifi radio, but does not get anywhere further.

I've checked to make sure the key is correct many times, and just tested with a much simpler key. As far as I know Apple devices will usually indicate if the key entered is incorrect, but in this case, it appears to accept it and then just "spin" trying to connect.

This guest network problem also occurs with a completely open guest network, where there should be no authentication, keys, etc. to cause problems.

Is there any way to get any more information through the logs about what could be happening here?

No, sorry. We have no control over the wireless aspect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!