What's new

Can't connect to network drive need help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neverdie888

New Around Here
I have the RT-AC68U, it was working fine before now it kinda acting up. The drive I plug into the router should give me a network drive on my local PC. Currently, I can access it through IP in window 10 file explorer, but when I am trying to access it through the drive name given in the router my PC refuses to connect and give error code 0x80004005. However, if I change my local PC DNS to google DNS ipv4 DNS 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS it works again, the drive can be accessed using the name. Change it back to automatic or use Spectrum TWC DNS it fails again. Sidenote I use google DNS on the router for some week before removing them.

Things to try:

Temporarily turn off DNS Filtering if you are using it.

Check the "Device Name" at USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk
Also check "Device Name" at LAN > LAN IP

Check LAN > DHCP Server. If you don't have anything set for the router's "Domain Name" give it something like "home.lan". You will need to reboot all your clients after changing this.

Last edited:
I try those method, it doesn't properly show up on the network page and still can't access using name. I also try changing the device name in samba setting. It work for a short period then back to not able to using the name as an access.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!