What's new

Can't decide on what router to buy RAX120, R8000P, R7800, GT-AC5300, GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommytom83

New Around Here
Hello All,

Looking for some advice on next router purchase.

My home.: Currently running around 35 devices mostly 2.4ghz devices (two smart thermostats 4 cameras, 3 smart locks, 3 apple TVs 3 Laptops, etc etc). I have a 3600sq ft two story home with centurylink 1gbps service.

My current setup: is I have a centurylink modem / router (wireless turned off) hardwired to an Netgear R7000 and Netgear EX8000 hardwired upstairs as an access point. Lately my wifi has been really unstable it seems like netgear has been producing some really buggy firmware updates lately.

My considerations: My r7000 is about 6.5 yrs old. I am looking to replace it with something newer. I had a lot of good luck with netgear, but I have had a lot of firmware issues the past year. (bricked my ex8000 and i had use winscp to get in and reload firmware manually).Since moving in this house I have not have been able to use the ex8000 using the wireless backhaul due to constant up / downs. So some of the routers I have been looking at are the R8000p, RAX120, RAX200, Asus GT-AC5300 and Asus GT-AX11000. I see posts all over the place about firmware issues with both companies. Looking for advice here. My goal is to continue to use my ex8000 wired access point off the centurylink (cant wire to the netgear router due lack of space and the connection termination in a small doored enclosure in our walk in closet. (r7000 router is also hardwired to century link modem to the family room (sep floor)).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am open to different architecture as well, limited options though due to lack of space of where modem is located. I have 3 wall jacks that terminated in different locations in the house that are wired into the centurylink modem.

I just bought a RAX120 to replace my R9000. to make a long story short the RAX120 crashed so many times that I decided to return it. My R9000 is running Voxel Firmware and it is solid. I was so disappointed. Maybe I got a defective unit. the only plus on the RAX120 was the 2.5gb ethernet jack.