What's new

can't figure out Mesh setup on 388.1 on 2 ax3000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lepa71

I'm having a hard time setting up a mesh network between 2 AX3000) actually one is AX3000 model and another is AX58) Asus routers running the latest merlin's fw. 388.1 I put them literally next to each other but the router can't find the node.
Here is some more details of my setup
1. I don't use smart 2.4 and 5 mode
2. I preselect the main router's channels on both 2.4 and 5 Mhz.
3. Authentication Method is set yo WPA2/WPA3 presonal.
1673733738223.png

Am I missing something?

I mostly use the 2nd router as a media bridge but I was thinking put it in a Mesh node so the closer Wifi devices also can get a better signal/throughput.

Thanks.

Yes. There is a bug with Merlin FW and the initial pairing of nodes when connecting nodes wirelessly. The fix is easy. This is how I do it.

1. install latest stock on nodes
2. Do a WPS reset on the nodes
3. Connect node from lan port on router to wan port of node (check WPS is enabled on router)
4. Add node using gui from main router
5. Disconnect lan cable and wait for node to switch to wireless
6. Move node to desired location
7. Repeat for second node
8. Have a beer

So do you keep it on stock fw then? or do you upgrade to merlins after?

I'm going to try starting from step 2. I would prefer not to go back to stock fw.

One more thing.
I did put back the "node" to wireless router mode then I switched it to become a mesh node. I saw that there were both MAC addresses from the router and node trying to connect but eventually timed out.

Fine to use Merlin FW on node but no point unless you want to do fancy stuff with scripts etc on nodes. In my experience (many years of Merlin + mesh nodes) it is generally more stable with stock on nodes but will work fine with Merlin.

I just updated my 2x ax58u nodes to latest 388 stock and working better than ever. Wireless backhaul speeds much better than 386 stock

One more thing.
I did put back the "node" to wireless router mode then I switched it to become a mesh node. I saw that there were both MAC addresses from the router and node trying to connect but eventually timed out.
Not sure about this. The key to setup the nodes is to factory reset them and set them up wired as Aimesh nodes. Once setup and working then they will switch to wireless backhaul automatically when you unplug the cable

One last thing. If you have issues setting up as described with Merlin on the nodes, then install stock and try again.

some folks on the forum have updated to Merlin on the nodes AFTER first setting up with stock. I personally don’t see the point