What's new

Can't figure out my wireless problems.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jim.thornton

New Around Here
First let me say that I'm not very good with networking, it's never been an area of expertise for me. Here is my setup:

- 250Mbps Internet Connection > Rogers Modem
- Rogers Modem > Linksys EA9200-4C
- Port 1 > D-Link Powerline DHP-701AV
- Port 2, 3, 4 > Connected to devices, computer, voip apa and printer

On the network I have:
- Desktop computer (running as a HT server using samba shares into Kodi clients) - Hardwired
- Printer - hardwired
- voip apa - hard wired
- TV (Sony Android) - Powerline AV2000
- Desktop computer - Powerline AV2000
- 4 Phones + 1 tablet (wireless)
- Laptop (wireless)
- 2 other laptops (not usually on but rarely)

I just recently upgrade my powerline adapters because I thought those were giving me the problems. Prior to these Powerline adapters, I had D-Link with (i think) AV500 or AV200 tech in them or something like that.

Here is the issue:
This seems to be happening when my kids are home. When I'm watching TV (streaming from my HTPC) my show will all of a sudden freeze. Sometimes I can fix it by going back and 10 seconds a few times. Sometimes it freezes right up and I have to exit and the odd time I end up having to reboot the TV to be able to do anything again. At the same time, all of my wireless connections go down. My laptop browser will not even load a page like Google or anything. Sometimes I wait 30 seconds and it goes up and running again. Other times, I have to shutdown my laptop and I can still continue to watch TV with it freezing every 5-10 minutes. the odd time it doesn't fix itself and I just end up giving up on it.

Now, that said, the other day I was the only one home and my laptop connection went down when I was trying to work and I had no other devices working. I went around the house and turned off the Desktop (the one that is connected via Powerline adapter. I took my phone and my daughter's tablet off the wifi. There were no other phones in the home. Nothing else was using any significant bandwidth.

As an added explanation, when my son downloads a game update via steam or Uplay, the everyone else gets kicked off the network, meaning everything, but his download still runs. I find that very weird.

I've tried to run different configurations when it is happening. Asking what they are doing, etc. Let's say, I'm watching SD tv from my HTPC, my daughter is watching SD tv on her tablet from my HTPC and my son might be watching youtube. I've then tried getting my son to lower the bandwidth setting on youtube to 144kps (the lowest setting) and it still happens. I've made sure that my daughter is watching SD shows and it still happens. My son does NOT chat when he is playing games, so I don't think it is that.

As mentioned, I thought that maybe I was hitting a bandwidth limit with my powerline adapters, so I upgraded them to the AV2000 models, but it has not fixed the problem. It might be a *little* bit better now, but if it is then it is VERY marginal.

Even though I have a lot of devices listed, there really isn't that many being used at any one time. And, since I'm watching SD TV and so is she, and he is youtube (lowest bandwidth) I really don't think I'm overloading the capability of the network. In addition, it happens when only 2 of us are connected (but less frequently) and then periodically it will happen with just me on my laptop.

I'm beginning to think that maybe my router is the problem. Can someone please help me diagnose this? I would really like to get a reliable network going so that this doesn't keep happening.

BTW... When the problem occurs, I've run a speed test on my wireless and it is getting maybe 2-4 mbps, but if I go downstairs and wire-in to test I get full speed.

Is this possible because I'm on the fringe of the range for the wifi? Because my signal on my laptop is pretty low on the top floor (which is where we all are). But, when it happens, I've also tried going downstairs and typically have problems them too (although once it worked better by walking downstairs). My signal is pretty low on the top floor, and there are times when my signal drops and connects repeatedly. During this time, I've walked down (10 feet from router in same room) and it will not connect. Yet, 15 minutes later it works perfectly.

I've tried rebooting the router and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My network is setup in the bottom corner of my basement. We are on the 2nd floor (meaning 2 floors up from the basement). What's making me think that it isn't JUST the wifi range is because it freezes internet on the powerline adapters at the same time.

Is my router faulty? Do I need to change it? Is it my setup? I'm lost and would appreciate any help anyone can provide please.

First let me say that I'm not very good with networking, it's never been an area of expertise for me. Here is my setup:

- 250Mbps Internet Connection > Rogers Modem
- Rogers Modem > Linksys EA9200-4C
- Port 1 > D-Link Powerline DHP-701AV
- Port 2, 3, 4 > Connected to devices, computer, voip apa and printer

On the network I have:
- Desktop computer (running as a HT server using samba shares into Kodi clients) - Hardwired
- Printer - hardwired
- voip apa - hard wired
- TV (Sony Android) - Powerline AV2000
- Desktop computer - Powerline AV2000
- 4 Phones + 1 tablet (wireless)
- Laptop (wireless)
- 2 other laptops (not usually on but rarely)

I just recently upgrade my powerline adapters because I thought those were giving me the problems. Prior to these Powerline adapters, I had D-Link with (i think) AV500 or AV200 tech in them or something like that.

Here is the issue:
This seems to be happening when my kids are home. When I'm watching TV (streaming from my HTPC) my show will all of a sudden freeze. Sometimes I can fix it by going back and 10 seconds a few times. Sometimes it freezes right up and I have to exit and the odd time I end up having to reboot the TV to be able to do anything again. At the same time, all of my wireless connections go down. My laptop browser will not even load a page like Google or anything. Sometimes I wait 30 seconds and it goes up and running again. Other times, I have to shutdown my laptop and I can still continue to watch TV with it freezing every 5-10 minutes. the odd time it doesn't fix itself and I just end up giving up on it.

Now, that said, the other day I was the only one home and my laptop connection went down when I was trying to work and I had no other devices working. I went around the house and turned off the Desktop (the one that is connected via Powerline adapter. I took my phone and my daughter's tablet off the wifi. There were no other phones in the home. Nothing else was using any significant bandwidth.

As an added explanation, when my son downloads a game update via steam or Uplay, the everyone else gets kicked off the network, meaning everything, but his download still runs. I find that very weird.

I've tried to run different configurations when it is happening. Asking what they are doing, etc. Let's say, I'm watching SD tv from my HTPC, my daughter is watching SD tv on her tablet from my HTPC and my son might be watching youtube. I've then tried getting my son to lower the bandwidth setting on youtube to 144kps (the lowest setting) and it still happens. I've made sure that my daughter is watching SD shows and it still happens. My son does NOT chat when he is playing games, so I don't think it is that.

As mentioned, I thought that maybe I was hitting a bandwidth limit with my powerline adapters, so I upgraded them to the AV2000 models, but it has not fixed the problem. It might be a *little* bit better now, but if it is then it is VERY marginal.

Even though I have a lot of devices listed, there really isn't that many being used at any one time. And, since I'm watching SD TV and so is she, and he is youtube (lowest bandwidth) I really don't think I'm overloading the capability of the network. In addition, it happens when only 2 of us are connected (but less frequently) and then periodically it will happen with just me on my laptop.

I'm beginning to think that maybe my router is the problem. Can someone please help me diagnose this? I would really like to get a reliable network going so that this doesn't keep happening.

BTW... When the problem occurs, I've run a speed test on my wireless and it is getting maybe 2-4 mbps, but if I go downstairs and wire-in to test I get full speed.

Is this possible because I'm on the fringe of the range for the wifi? Because my signal on my laptop is pretty low on the top floor (which is where we all are). But, when it happens, I've also tried going downstairs and typically have problems them too (although once it worked better by walking downstairs). My signal is pretty low on the top floor, and there are times when my signal drops and connects repeatedly. During this time, I've walked down (10 feet from router in same room) and it will not connect. Yet, 15 minutes later it works perfectly.

I've tried rebooting the router and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My network is setup in the bottom corner of my basement. We are on the 2nd floor (meaning 2 floors up from the basement). What's making me think that it isn't JUST the wifi range is because it freezes internet on the powerline adapters at the same time.

Is my router faulty? Do I need to change it? Is it my setup? I'm lost and would appreciate any help anyone can provide please.

Can you wire to the upstairs Powerline (Gigabit Ethernet) and speedtest from there to test that link over your house power wiring?

Have you tried a WiFi app to see the signals around you and their power level? Here's a good one on the Android store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

OE

Speedtest:
Upstairs (Powerline): 24Mbps / 21 Mbps
Upstairs (Wifi): 7 Mbps / 21 Mbps
Main Floor (wifi): 9 Mbps / 21 Mbps
Basement - Next room (wifi): 18 Mbps / 21 Mbps
Basement - Same room (wifi): 24 Mbps / 21 Mbps
Basement (hardwire directly to router -- through a switch): 95 Mbps / 21 Mbps

Wifi Analyzer:
I downloaded the NetGear Wifi Analytics software and it shows the signal in between poor and good. Around -60db or something like that. I fluctuates not better than say -55db and up to about -80db.

I have the same router - Linksys EA9200 set up as an access point in my basement. I've got a hard wire from my Rogers modem to my electrical panel, and into an 8 port gigabit switch. From that switch, 1 Ethernet line goes out to my EA9200. I have multiple devices connected to my Linksys, and I'm not having any of those issues, or dropouts. This router I believe touts itself as being able to handle multiple devices. I don't get the greatest range from the device, but it is very adequate for what I use it for.

Are you able to use the power line adapter to essentially act as a hardwire up to your 2nd floor? Then do the same thing, convert the Linksys into an access point. One thing to remember when using power line adapters, is to TRY and get both adapters on the same phase (same side) as your electrical panel. It will work much more efficiently VS. having 1 block on one half, and the other on the other half of the panel (2 different circuit sides).

If your on the Rogers 250mbs plan, then you've likely been issued a CODA-4582 modem. Why not using the wifi from the modem, AND use the wifi from the router, but set up correctly as to not interfere with eachother.

Speedtest:
Upstairs (Powerline): 24Mbps / 21 Mbps
Upstairs (Wifi): 7 Mbps / 21 Mbps
Main Floor (wifi): 9 Mbps / 21 Mbps
Basement - Next room (wifi): 18 Mbps / 21 Mbps
Basement - Same room (wifi): 24 Mbps / 21 Mbps
Basement (hardwire directly to router -- through a switch): 95 Mbps / 21 Mbps

Wifi Analyzer:
I downloaded the NetGear Wifi Analytics software and it shows the signal in between poor and good. Around -60db or something like that. I fluctuates not better than say -55db and up to about -80db.

I assume ISP rated speeds are 250/20 Mbps... and you are using say speedtest.net to test ISP speeds... be sure this tool is reasonably accurate for your investigation...

>>Upstairs (Powerline): 24Mbps / 21 Mbps
>>Basement (hardwire directly to router -- through a switch): 95 Mbps

The AV2000 spec is up to 2000Mbps, twice Gigabit Ethernet, so you ought to be seeing full ISP speeds wired to the Powerline unit, subject to your house wiring. This link is not good? You could retest this link with both units in the same room on the same circuit/breaker/phase?

And you ought to be seeing full ISP speeds wired to your router. You could wire directly to the cable modem to confirm ISP speeds? Is the incoming cable directly wired to the modem, or does it come through a coax distribution amplifier? Maybe Rogers needs to check/provision their service for rated speed... 95 is not 250? Is the modem on their approved modem list... maybe it's too old? Maybe the exterior cable has been compromised... water or bent way less than ~3" radius... should enter through an earth ground couple/splice.

Is the modem a gateway with router/AP... is it in bridge mode to not conflict with your router?

Once you have rated service, you can move downstream... does the router LAN now test at rated speed?

To know what to expect with WiFi, you need to know the notebook's adapter capability and when connected, it's wireless connection details/speed... check these in Windows? when connected. Wireless n (150 min) and ac (433 min) connections with a strong signal should yield your rated ISP speeds. Your WiFi speeds are all poor, even next to the router AP, when looking at the partial ISP speed of 95?

If the modem test yields rated ISP speeds, maybe your router is suspect? Does your son have access to it... maybe he tried to set QoS for his streaming and messed it up? :)

If the router seems off, as a last resort, you could hard reset it, perhaps upgrade the firmware and hard reset it again while you're at it, and configure it from scratch. Maybe it has gotten confused and is limping along. If you still can't get rated ISP speeds wired to it, maybe it's toast... is it on a UPS to keep it on clean power?

Once you have rated ISP speeds wired to your router, you can evaluate the WiFi. A signal analyzer will show all AP signals around you... your router WiFi should be strong and dominant... -40 to -30 dBm sitting next to the router. Set the 2.4 radio to the least crowded of channels 1,6, or 11 and 20 MHz. Leave the 5.0 on auto/defaults... you probably won't see any neighboring 5.0 signals. I'm gonna guess your WiFi is ok but hobbled by the ISP/modem/router and the Powerline link.

At this point, you're not getting rated ISP speed at your router; and your Powerline units are not delivering what you are getting. Investigate the ISP/modem/router. And investigate the Powerline installation... see if they do better on the same circuit.

Once those are performing as they should or can, proceed to investigating the WiFi.

Hope that helps!

OE

Wow! Thank you for such a detailed response. I will start working on your suggestions.

To answer some of your questions ahead of time...

- There is no UPS
- I do have aluminum wiring in the house (if that matters)
- The exterior cable was replaced by Rogers last summer
- The modem does not have an integrated router.
- My son does not handle the router, I'm the "techie" in the family
- I have tried QoS on and off. With the QoS set to my TV and Laptop, but I still experience dropping/freezing.
- The wireless adapter in my laptop is ac

I will test straight off the modem and then move the powerline adapters as you suggest.

Wow! Thank you for such a detailed response. I will start working on your suggestions.

To answer some of your questions ahead of time...

- There is no UPS
- I do have aluminum wiring in the house (if that matters)
- The exterior cable was replaced by Rogers last summer
- The modem does not have an integrated router.
- My son does not handle the router, I'm the "techie" in the family
- I have tried QoS on and off. With the QoS set to my TV and Laptop, but I still experience dropping/freezing.
- The wireless adapter in my laptop is ac

I will test straight off the modem and then move the powerline adapters as you suggest.

Aluminum wiring can expand/contract and loosen connections, adding resistance, voltage drops, and heat. I suppose the circuit change could affect the Powerline. Let's hope all this is not happening.

I've never needed QoS settings. But I only stream to Chromecast and from an HD Homerun network OTA TV tuner.

I have needed to disable SIP ALG or Passthrough in the router to fix one-way audio with VoIP (OBi ata).

OE

All of Rogers modems as of the last 4 years or so ARE modem and routers all in one. The 250mbs plan is only associated with either a CGN3 modem/router or the CODA modem/router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!