What's new

Can't filter URL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WiFied

Occasional Visitor
Trying to get router to filter out this address, androidtvwatsonfe-pa.googleapis.com , but I can only enter this part of this (androidtvwatsonfe-pa) in the Firewall > URL Filter, due to character limitation in this setting. LAN > DHCP Server > DNS Server 1 & 2 are empty, with “Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS” set to Yes, and “Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS” set to No. In WAN DNS Setting, “Connect to DNS Server automatically” is set to No. The DNS server 1 & 2 are entered. But it’s not filtering out this site. Any help on how to make this work would be appreciated.

EDIT: I ended up using OpenDNS for DNS, and using their site to block the URL, and it works great. The LTS version of Merlin I'm using doesn't work for blocking this site.

Last edited:
The URL filter field accepts 64 characters.

The URL filter field accepts 64 characters.
Mine only accepts 32. So only: androidtvwatsonfe-pa.googleapis.co I'm on 374.43_39E3 , so maybe I'm limited to 32 because of that? But should that really matter?

Mine only accepts 32. So only: androidtvwatsonfe-pa.googleapis.co I'm on 374.43_39E3 , so maybe I'm limited to 32 because of that? But should that really matter?
Ah yes. John’s fork is still limited to 32. And I believe on the fork, the URL filter is only effective on unencrypted http connections. Newer Merlin versions also use the URL filter to block DNS requests for the filtered domain.

On what router model?
ASUS RT-AC86U running ASUSWRT-Merlin 374.43 LTS

I ended up using OpenDNS for DNS, and using their site blocking the URL, and it works great.

ASUS RT-AC86U running ASUSWRT-Merlin 374.43 LTS

I ended up using OpenDNS for DNS, and using their site blocking the URL, and it works great.
It would be a good trick to run John’s fork on an AC86U. Guessing you mean 68U.

@WiFied

Or you can try 50D6 in the Development-Beta folder. Includes the following changes....

* CHANGED: webui: allow 64 chars for url filter
* CHANGED: dnsmasq: urlfilter: implement dns blocking for url filter
* CHANGED: firewall: urlfilter: add ipv6 support for url filter