What's new

Can't find Amazon!?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lighting

Regular Contributor
I have an ASUS RT-AC68U running the most recent version of rMerlin firmware (384.7_2), on Comcast cable. Last week for half a day I couldn't access Amazon. I tried different browsers, different computers, rebooting the router and cable modem. I could access Amazon fine on my phone over the cell service, and on my Mac tethered to the phone, so it's either my setup or Comcast.

I tried switching my DNS service from OpenDNS to Comcast's DNS, no luck.

The problem went away overnight.

Now it's doing it with a local theatre company's website, seems like the same issue. (Amazon is fine.) I against tried swapping DNS service, different browsers, renewing my (wired) DHCP connection to the router...

Every other website I have tried (both times) works fine.

Any ideas on where to look? Thank you!

Thanks, but clearing DNS cache and changing DNS settings a couple of more times (and clearing the cache again) doesn't seem to do it.

Most likely, someone has abused the WAN address you are getting from your ISP and it has been blacklisted by the sites you cannot visit. Possible solutions are
  • - power down the modem and router for about 15 min and hope you pull another address
  • - use the MAC clone feature on the router which can force the ISP to issue a different address
  • - complain to your ISP (sometimes futile as the support folks many times have no idea :) )

Hmmm. I restarted modem and router, which got Comcast to give me a different IP address -- still the one same website can't be found. Otherwise all seems fine. May be time to brave talking to Comcast. Unless there's some other thought? Thanks!

I prefer Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Configure the ASUS to use that. Any device remaining at home, let DHCP assign the DNS from ASUS router. For devices that travel outside the home, it depends but DHCP DNS should be okay.

For myself, whenever we travel, I use DHCP for the IP address but configure the DNS for Google.

Are you running any addons, like Diversion, Skynet, Stubby or DNSCrypt? Are you using DNSSEC?
All of these can sometimes interfere with specific sites and you should double check with them disabled.

If you hook up the computer directly to the modem (comcast tech support will likely ask you to do this anyways), does it work?

They do this to quickly rule out a consumer router configuration (or micconfig as it might be)

I figured out why I was having trouble accessing that one site. I had DNS-based filtering with Yandex turned on. Turning it off gave me access to the (very safe-seeming) website I was having trouble with. Still works fine with OpenDNS filtering, too.

Thanks for all the advice -- I learned a lot, anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!