What's new

Can't Find RT-AC86U Wifi Data Chanel Number

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djmcfar

Occasional Visitor
In wifi monitor mode using wireshark - able to display packets from other devices but no packets other multicast and the like. No application data like web browsing. Thanks in advance.

This is normal. Unless you have a WiFi adapter capable of capturing raw WiFi packets off-air you're not going to see unicast traffic for other devices. Even if you do have such an adapter you won't be able to see the user data because it's encrypted.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Colin. I ordered an Atheros AR9271 2.4 Ghz USB WiFi Wireless Adapter, which will do the trick.

If I may add a side question... When a create a tcpdump capture file on the router, syncing and verifying file contents, then remove the USB2 stick from the USB2 slot and take it to another machine for viewing with Wireshark, sometimes the file is not present for viewing. This happens about 50% of the time. Attempts to unmount the USB2 drive before removing it from the router (to hopefully avoid this problem) always fail with "can't unmount /tmp/mnt/RT-AC86U: Device or resource busy" regardless of using the block device name or the directory path, and I don't have any other processes wanting access to the USB (tcpdump is terminated before this, and the terminal's path is not within the mount point). Is there anyway to ensure that files created on USB persist when the USB drive is removed ?

I can't think why you can't unmount the drive if nothing is using it. Bear in mind that "using" includes processes that have a directory on that disk as their current working directory. So make sure you haven't cd'd into a directory on the disk (maybe that's what you meant by "terminal's path"). Do a cd / before unmounting.

Do a cd / before unmounting.
Already tried that and there's nothing on the USB except for the entware directory. I doubt if there's a process using anything on there. There might be some info about that in /proc but that's a lot of trouble to go through in order to unmount the device. I'll look for alternative ways of file transfer that don't involve removing the USB...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!