What's new

Can't get any network on my desktop PC - red cross

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bfritze

New Around Here
Hi, (I got recommended this site from a guy on TenForums, so I hope you can help me finding a solution)
I have a desktop PC with an ASUS motherboard. I can't get ANY connection to the internet. I just get the computer with the red cross in the lower right corner. I've no idea, how to fix it, and I've tried to fix it for MANY hours.

Does anyone know what to do? Please.
I've tried:

- Deep scan for virus, which took 8 hours. All potential viruses were deleted.

- Start in safe mode

- Turning the internet on and off, even though all other computers had internet.

- Another Ethernet adapter put directly on the motherboard.

- With a working WiFi adapter

- Used other antivirus softwares such as Malwarebytes

- Several repair tools

- Deleting other entrances than the default ones in the local host.

- Turning on and off the Ethernet under Network connections

- using the ipconfig /renew, but I get a fail which is "This operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation"

Does anyone have a fix for this? It's boiling my head.
010.png

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad English.

starting with the basics step by step to isolate the issue.
Is this the only device that does not have internet access ? if no, then proceed. otherwise, if yes, then start with 2 below

1) turn off your router. turn off your ISP modem (may be combined unit). turn off PC and any other connected device.
turn on ISP modem. wait until all green lights. some may blink. if not, then may be issue
turn on router. wait until all green lights. some may blink. if not, then may be issue
turn on PC. login to PC.

2) Check lights on router where PC lan cable plugs in. Should be one on solid and one blinking. generally both will be green. if not, check PC side. If no lights on PC side, move to other ethernet connection. If that does not go green, then replace cable with known good cable.

if that does not fix it, go to start/ control panel, device manager. check status of lan adapters. all should be showing no yellow exclamation point and detail should show "working correctly". if not, fix driver / hardware issue.
if no issues, then -

at the cmd prompt - ipconfig /all
what does the ethernet local area connection lan adapter report ?
what ip address is assigned to the PC ?
what is the gateway address ?
what is the dns server address ?

It reports that either the Ethernet adapter is disabled or there might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter. None of it can be true...
The internal ip address should be 192.168.0.112, and the external is 80.197.116.53
Default gateway is 192.168.0.1, but everytime I write it in it magically disappears. I can ping the localhost, but I can't ping anything else. I have a reason to believe, it is virus. I've had one before ages back, that did the same. I've deleted all available virus I found in a 8 hours deep scan, but I still can't write in the gateway address, and still nothing has changed.
The preferred DNS is 208.67.222.222

- I've already tried several other cables, and the cables give full connection to other devices, if I plug it in them.

then i think you are at the point where you wipe the disk with a low level format and restore from your backup clone. If this was a vendor built machine, you should follow their wipe and restore process as a low level format will wipe any recovery partition.

then i think you are at the point where you wipe the disk with a low level format and restore from your backup clone. If this was a vendor built machine, you should follow their wipe and restore process as a low level format will wipe any recovery partition.
Unfortunately, it hasn't made any restoring points lately, because it by some reason has turned it off. I'm convinced that I've turned it on.
Okay, but you recommend wiping it?

If you are convinced that it is infected, then that is the safest way. You must have the windows install disk and any software you want to load. Might as well update the bios and all the other mb drivers at the same time if you have to wipe and start from scratch. If this is a vendor build, you must have their recovery and install disks. I would talk with them about how to do it if you have not done this before.

What changed just before all of this started happening ? Either hardware or software or physical environment.

Otherwise, you need to get the latest lan driver from asus, install it and see if that clears up device manager. You could have a bios issue. Once that is ok, then you could try to set the tcpip v4 config to manual , no dhcp, and assign ip address, mask 255.255.255.0. Gateway to what it is supposed to be and dns ip address to either 8.8.8.8. (Google) or what you are using today. Make sure no other device has the ip address you assign the adapter.

The incredible thing is, that I did NOTHING. I haven't installed anything for weeks, but then suddenly it happened overnight. The evening it worked perfectly. Next evening this happened...

The incredible thing is, that I did NOTHING. I haven't installed anything for weeks, but then suddenly it happened overnight. The evening it worked perfectly. Next evening this happened...
how old is the mb ?
did you check the asus forums ?
you could try a live linux version on cd or usb drive (don't install) and see if it has any issues with the lan.
if not, then it could be a corruption issue and reloading the driver would be a start. it might be an issue in windows itself somewhere.Do you have a windows repair disk ?
Does the disk SMART table show anything - particularly re-allocation count increase ?

how old is the mb ?
did you check the asus forums ?
you could try a live linux version on cd or usb drive (don't install) and see if it has any issues with the lan.
if not, then it could be a corruption issue and reloading the driver would be a start. it might be an issue in windows itself somewhere.Do you have a windows repair disk ?
Does the disk SMART table show anything - particularly re-allocation count increase ?

The motherboard is no more than 1½ years old. I'm currently trying to install another windows version on the same SSD. Hopefully it works. If not, I will try to wipe the SSD and install a completely new.
Thanks for the help, I will return if I can't get it fixed after wiping.

The motherboard is no more than 1½ years old. I'm currently trying to install another windows version on the same SSD. Hopefully it works. If not, I will try to wipe the SSD and install a completely new.
Thanks for the help, I will return if I can't get it fixed after wiping.
You could get a copy of Hiren's BootCD to diagnose and try to repair.

Many thanks for the help.
I used the media creation tool by transferring it to a USB and stuck it into my PC. I then created a new version of Windows upon the other one on the same SSD. I specifically chose to create a new version without inserting the windows key, because it automatically used the already used one on my SSD. It worked. It had transferred the whole old config onto the new version and also transferred all the files. Now the whole computer is just as before. It only uses 8gb extra space.