What's new

can't get dnsmasq to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ojee

Occasional Visitor
I'm using a Synology NAS to listen to music when I'm at work. To access it, I have DDNS running on my Asus RT-AC87U, along the lines of xxxx.asuscomm.com:1234. When I come home, my phone switches to wireless, and that's where the trouble starts. In order to keep listening, I have to log out and relogin using the internal IP of my NAS. This is a chore, and I have to do this every time I enter or leave my house. I wish this worked as seamlessly as spotify for instance.

The problem is that I can't access the external asuscomm address from inside the network. It will only access the internal IP address. I've done some digging and apparently this is a dnsmasq problem (I could be wrong), but for the life of me I don't know how to fix it. There doesn't seem to be an option on the router to force the asuscomm address to the correct IP when I'm behind my router.

What you need is called Hairpinning, NAT loopback, NAT reflection... but wait for ASUS wizards here to tell you what you need to do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!