What's new

Can't get IP phone to work with repeater router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slickone

Occasional Visitor
I got an RT-AC86U to replace a RT-N66W, so the AC86 is now the main router and I wanted to use the N66 just to plug an IP phone (Yealink SIP-T425) in so I could move it and the desk to a different spot. Nothing else would be connected to the N66.

I logged into the N66 and changed it's mode to repeater, and it connected to the AC86, but the IP phone doesn't work when plugged into the N66, nor then does it work after plugged back into the AC86 until I turned the N66's power off. The phone says no service. Probably irrelevant but the phone did previously work with the N66 when it was the main router.

Also, now, even when I'm connected the N66, when I try to login to router.asus.com, it says "AC86" on the login screen. If I can get the above problem fixed, I want to be able to change some of the settings on the N66 (like lower Tx power and turn off 5G), but can't figure out how to now. I can get to it through the app but the app barely has any settings in it for some reason. Even before this problem, I've never been able to find many settings in the app.

BTW, for some reason, when I set the N66 to repeater, it prompted me to change the SSID's and PW's. Why? I'm not sure why it couldn't keep the same SSID it already had.

Last edited:
Download and use the "ASUS Device Discovery" utility to find the IP address of the repeater and use that to log in. Don't use "router.asus.com".

If you're only using this for a wired client don't use repeater mode, use media bridge mode.

BTW, for some reason, when I set the N66 to repeater, it prompted me to change the SSID's and PW's. Why? I'm not sure why it couldn't keep the same SSID it already had.
You must use the same SSID and password as the parent device you're repeating, that's how repeaters work.

Last edited:
You must use the same SSID and password of the parent device, that's how repeaters work.

Some Asus routers in Repeater Mode suggest xyz_RPT as SSID. Logical SSID for Repeater is the same, but Asus allows different as well.

Some Asus routers in Repeater Mode suggest xyz_RPT as SSID. Logical SSID for Repeater is the same, but Asus allows different as well.
Yes, you are correct. I thought he was referring to the initial dialog where he enters the parent AP's information. But he's probably referring to the following dialog that you mentioned.

Download and use the "ASUS Device Discovery" utility to find the IP address of the repeater and use that to log in. Don't use "router.asus.com".

If you're only using this for a wired client don't use repeater mode, use media bridge mode.

You must use the same SSID and password as the parent device you're repeating, that's how repeaters work.
The N66 is wirelessly connected to the AC86. The IP phone is wired to the N66. Not sure which you meant. Do I need to use media bridge?

Thanks for the tip on the utility.

Go to Administration > Operation Mode, select Media Bridge and read the description on that page. From what you've said that mode would be more appropriate than Repeater Mode and might fix your IP phone problem.

I was using one AC66U router (the older MIPS model, basically the same hardware as N66U) as wireless bridge to my VoIP. Latest available Asuswrt firmware, Media Bridge as described above, the VoIP ATA is this model. People on the other side of the line were complaining of voice stuttering. I was about to replace the VoIP provider at one point. Replaced the router instead and the VoIP is now crystal clear. This is what I use for $30 Linksys E5400 now. I never had the time or will to investigate what's wrong with Asus 2013 model router. So, it may or may not work well enough, @Slickone.

The phone is now working via the N66 though, so thanks everyone for the help!

After I selected media bridge, it got stuck on the message "the RTN66 is connecting to the AC86" (something like that), and the progress meter finishes but the message/window never goes away. The same thing happened when I set it to repeater. So I finally just reloaded the page and when I reconnected to the router, it gave me a welcome message like it was brand new (and not showing the Merlin FW). I exited and tried logging back into the N66 but it wouldn't let me. I waited 15 minutes or so and it finally let me.

I guess set 2.4G as the bridge, it's only showing 2.4G in the GUI, so no way to turn off 5G. The 5G light is still lit though. Also the N66's GUI is showing all the clients that are connected to the AC86. Odd. Normal?

The Discovery tool only shows the AC86's 2.4G and N66's 5G connections. Is that normal? I'm connected to the AC86's 5G. The N66 doesn't show up in my laptop's list of WiFi connections. I assume that's normal, as a bridge. The AC86's GUI does show the N66 connected (at 2.4).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!