What's new

Can't get write access to USB drive connected to AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetworkLoser

New Around Here
I have my AX88U router up and running and am now attempting to connect a USB SSD to the router to use as a network drive. Have gone through all the setup with creating accounts and R/W privileges. However, when I attempt to access the drive from my PC I can see the drive and the directories that I created but it appears that I don't have write access.

I am running Win10 and have turned on SMB 1.0/CIFS Client on my machine.

Here is screenshot of the setup screen
1616363887778.png

Does anyone have any ideas on why I can't write to any of my the folders that I have created?

Are you logged into your Windows PC with a local (not Microsoft) account called BG that has the same password as the one you created for the router?

When you try to access the shared folder does it ask you to enter your user ID (BG) and password?

Are you logged into your Windows PC with a local (not Microsoft) account called BG that has the same password as the one you created for the router?
No. This would not make sense as multiple people on multiple pcs will be accessing the drive.

When you try to access the shared folder does it ask you to enter your user ID (BG) and password?
No - it didn't ask me for a password which I thought was weird. I even rebooted to make sure that everything was reset.

Can you try accessing these folders from another PC that has not previously tried accessing them? Windows has an annoying habit of remembering incorrect credentials and not asking again for the correct ones.

Its very confusing what we are seeing.

I went into the Media server tab for the router and changed the name and was experimented with what happened if I turned Media Server off. This is how I have it now:
1616371384622.png

On my computer, if I to go to Thiis PC this is what I see.
1616371465416.png

If I click on MyMediaServer, I see the "browse folders" directory that I created plus the others that were there all along. I did not create those but I assume when I formatted the drive they were created by the router setup software.

1616371644233.png

Attachments

• 1616370018926.png
    1616370018926.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 1616371709519.png
    1616371709519.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 114
And now if I go to My PC and scroll down to "Network" I see this:

1616371769816.png

And if I click on either MyMediaServer or RT-AX88U it takes me right into the router setup app.

On my wife's machine she see this same screen but when she just looks at This PC she does not see the "MyMediaServer" show up as a Network Location as shown in my previous message.

The Media Server is a completely different protocol (DLNA) and is presented in a different way. It indexes and groups media files into different categories, Music, Pictures, Video. Those folders do not exist on the drive.

I don't care about the media server - I just want to be able to store/share files with others on my network.

Another question - I don't understand if this needs to be enabled or not for file sharing - any comments?

1616375525303.png

Only enable that if you want to be able to access your files remotely from the internet.

On my computer, if I to go to Thiis PC this is what I see.
I don't see you router's name or shared folders in any of your Explorer screen shots. The "Computer" name would be RT-AX88U-D3F8 according to the image in post #1.

Try accessing the shares directly by using the router's IP address:
Untitled.png

I have the exact same problem as described above and have carried out all the steps that Networkloser has (and I also only want to share files between PC's/Mac's connect to my local network). To avoid confusion and for troubleshooting I changed the name of the Media Server (to Rshare) and this is what shows up in the Device Locations on Windows explorer. In the Samba conf the Device name is the default RT-AX.... and this dows not show up in Windows explorer. If I try accessing via the ip address it opens up a window but says the folder is empty and I can view etc as per before but cannot place any files within it. I am logged in to Windows and have created a username in the router conf that matches name and password.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!