What's new

Can't leave dd-wrt. Really want Merlin ;-)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lbradio

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-68U router, with DD-WRT r34080.
I just can't manage to flush stock Asus firmware nor Merlin firmware.
Renaming .trx to .bin and flush on the GUI doesn't work. The Asus recovery tool (hard to find) keep telling me the router is not in recovery mode (which it is).

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

Have you tried this:

https://elatov.github.io/2017/04/revert-to-asus-wrt-from-dd-wrt-on-asus-rt-ac68u-router/

I found this with a simple google search. Also the ASUS recovery tool isn't hard to find. It's probably because you weren't looking for ASUS restoration tool but instead recovery tool.

Also I would refrain from updating from the webgui from between any of the major firmware distributions. Always use the ASUS restoration tool.

ASUS: How do I use the rescue mode of the router

ASUS: Firmware restoration tool

asuswrt-merlin 380.69 firmware for the RT-AC68U

Last edited:
You need to first flash a firmware that fits in a 32M rootfs...start with Merlin 378.55 via the recovery tool, then you can upgrade via the gui from there.
John, Thank you very much. This was the missing link.
I just uploaded Merlin 378.55 into the DD-WRT Gui and it flushed like expected.
After a reboot and a small pre-configuration it was possible to flush 380.69 into the router.

I'm stuck with the same problem for the RT-88U. Unfortunately all the versions on the downloads page are much larger than 32M. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm stuck with the same problem for the RT-88U. Unfortunately all the versions on the downloads page are much larger than 32M. Does anyone have any suggestions?

the size of the flash for your router has nothing to do with your issue. in the OP's case, the rootfs was smaller in the past and expanded on the 68u.

You're looking for a model specific issue that isn't an issue with the 88u.

In that case, I'm at my wit's end. Just like the OP, the Asus Restoration Tool (installed from App Store) keeps complaining that the router isn't in recovery mode. But the power LED (extreme left, and the only one on) is blinking with a one-second interval...

the size of the flash for your router has nothing to do with your issue. in the OP's case, the rootfs was smaller in the past and expanded on the 68u.

You're looking for a model specific issue that isn't an issue with the 88u.
Try going back to stock first. What version were you running before you went to dd-wrt?

In that case, I'm at my wit's end. Just like the OP, the Asus Restoration Tool (installed from App Store) keeps complaining that the router isn't in recovery mode. But the power LED (extreme left, and the only one on) is blinking with a one-second interval...
Are you using a static IP address for your Ethernet adapter? Have you tried using a different LAN port? Try a different cable maybe?

Try going back to stock first. What version were you running before you went to dd-wrt?
How do I do this without the Recovery Tool working?

I used the Tftp method to flash Merlin on a new AC88U that refused to take it via the GUI. The steps are on the dd-wrt forum.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_TFTP_Flash

Just use Merlin FW rather than dd-wrt.
TFTP times outs too. I suppose the only option left is to try a new cable as the poster above me recommends? Is that even a problem generally? The cable I have now is good enough to navigate the GUI through LAN. I've tried every single one of the 8 LAN ports, so that's ruled out.

Can you get into the web cfe? I've used that as a last resort. Disconnect all cables from the router and connect a single cable directly to the router from your computer. set a static ip address for your computer and run a continuous ping to it's address to see if it is up and responding.

using the recovery tool

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1000814/

using the mini web cfe

1. router is unpowered
2. keep pressing the WPS button, I power it up
3. releasing the WPS button, I start to push the reset button
4. I release the reset button, and the power led starts to flash very slowly.

access the mini cfe web via 192.168.1.1 if it worked correctly

Last edited:
I'm still convinced you are hitting the 32M rootfs problem. There are two pieces to allow expansion to 64M rootfs for the ASUS/Merlin firmware loads. The bootloader has to support it, and the firmware must set up a 64M rootfs. I'm pretty sure that DD-WRT still uses a 32M rootfs, so you fail the second requirement and don't have enough space in the linux partition to load the code.

And you are correct that all the ASUS/Merlin AC88 builds are larger than 32M and you are stuck.

So, when you are ready to take a chance, I've made a 'special' AC88 build that will fit in the 32M space by leaving out the TrendMicro DPI engine code.

Caveats - I can't try it (don't have AC88) so I can't guarantee anything. It's not likely that it would brick the router, but it may end up in a bootloop. But if it does, it should set things up enough for you to load a new code via the restoration tool.

If you want to give it a try, drop me a PM.

Can you get into the web cfe? I've used that as a last resort. Disconnect all cables from the router and connect a single cable directly to the router from your computer. set a static ip address for your computer and run a continuous ping to it's address to see if it is up and responding.

using the recovery tool

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1000814/

using the mini web cfe

1. router is unpowered
2. keep pressing the WPS button, I power it up
3. releasing the WPS button, I start to push the reset button
4. I release the reset button, and the power led starts to flash very slowly.

access the mini cfe web via 192.168.1.1 if it worked correctly
I don't have the router on hand right now to check but I assume this is the same UI that comes up if I put the router into recovery mode? (Reset button plus power on plus releasing the reset when the power led starts to flash.) Very minimal UI with just a firmware upload option and a couple of reboot links? If so, I couldn't either load new firmware from here or use the recovery tool.

I'm still convinced you are hitting the 32M rootfs problem. There are two pieces to allow expansion to 64M rootfs for the ASUS/Merlin firmware loads. The bootloader has to support it, and the firmware must set up a 64M rootfs. I'm pretty sure that DD-WRT still uses a 32M rootfs, so you fail the second requirement and don't have enough space in the linux partition to load the code.

And you are correct that all the ASUS/Merlin AC88 builds are larger than 32M and you are stuck.

So, when you are ready to take a chance, I've made a 'special' AC88 build that will fit in the 32M space by leaving out the TrendMicro DPI engine code.

Caveats - I can't try it (don't have AC88) so I can't guarantee anything. It's not likely that it would brick the router, but it may end up in a bootloop. But if it does, it should set things up enough for you to load a new code via the restoration tool.

If you want to give it a try, drop me a PM.
Yes, please. The router is just a very large thing taking up valuable space on my desk at the moment. I'm willing to try anything.

I don't have the router on hand right now to check but I assume this is the same UI that comes up if I put the router into recovery mode? (Reset button plus power on plus releasing the reset when the power led starts to flash.) Very minimal UI with just a firmware upload option and a couple of reboot links? If so, I couldn't either load new firmware from here or use the recovery tool.

Yes, please. The router is just a very large thing taking up valuable space on my desk at the moment. I'm willing to try anything.

Did the ac88 ever have a 32 meg rootfs? I don’t think it did.

It was just as john9527 said. His special build has changed the status of my very expensive paperweight to functioning router. john9527 is, in my opinion, brimming with truth and wisdom and you must all treat him with the appropriate respect.

It was just as john9527 said. His special build has changed the status of my very expensive paperweight to functioning router. john9527 is, in my opinion, brimming with truth and wisdom and you must all treat him with the appropriate respect.
Amen to that. He has been a help to me on more than one occasion!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!