What's new

Can't log into ac86U after setting modem to bridge mode.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nathan Groves

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I hope this hasn't been gone through before as I did a search and didn't find anything.

Anyway, I have an RT AC86U being used as my router and it sits behind a TP-LINK Archer VR400.
I want to enable DDNS so I can add torents remotely from my mobile whilst travelling. The problem is that as soon as I put the TP-LINK into Bridge mode I loose acces to the ASUS dashboard.
When I open the asus app on my phone im told that I'm inputting the wrong User name or password and this also happens when I try to access the dashboard from a cabled connection on my PC.

Running the TP-Link in it's normal mode gives me a Dual NAT error when trying to set up the DDNS on the asus so the only way I can work out to do this is by setting the TP-Link in bridged, but then the other problem shows up.

Is there anyone here that can help me out a little as networking is far from something that I know anything about.

Thanks all,

Nathan

Last edited:
did you try to uninstall dashboard app and after changeing to bridge mode and configure DDNS install it again and pair with your router.
use for testing easy username/password (only 8 characters and digits)
disable DDNS certificate (use none for testing).

I uninstalled the app the last time I trid to set all this up and I couldn't log in so I tried accessing via a wired connection and it brought the router page up and asked for the password and once again it failed. Should I have powered off the router before trying to login?

cheers for your help here pal....

so you completely locked out of GUI?
factory reset the router and make it again with above advices for first test to get it running.

Yep, I was completely locked, so I reset the router, set up a username and password, put in my isp's username and password, hit save and then I'm locked out again with the same invalid username or password promt.

Do you know of any way that I can access the router whilst away from home without having to put the TP-Link into bridge mode, or do I need to get the double NAT sorted to be able to do the remote stuff?

do you use correct IP of the router?
did you try over WiFi?

Where is your LAN from PC connected to?
Must be on a LAN port of router, bridged modem cant be used anymore except the one connection to router WAN!

I'm connecting to the router via ethernet and wifi (separately obviously) and with the mobile it was just via wifi I used http://router.asus.com to try and log in and I think that it is seeing the router because I get the asus background image on the login screen where I'm told that the password or username is incorrect.
The android app says that it's connected to the router, but gives the same error.
The only thing on the modem is the single cat6 to the router and a single cat6 comes out to the laptop.

Do I need to put the TP-Link into Bridge to enable remote access to the router?

Is the single Cat6 to laptop coming from router or modem?

If you want to use Asus-DDNS your modem have to be in bridge mode.

Ever tried with 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.50.1 on some versions)?

Have you done factory reset? Hold WPS while powering on and 15s longer then release and make setup again with modem in bridge mode.

User/pw on router is different from user/pw needed for DSL-connection!

The modem is connected to the router via cat6, the router is then connected to the laptop via a cat6. The only time I've used the isp password and username is when setting the internet connection up on the router.
It's the login details that are for the router it's self that are be rejected when I try to log in to it.
When I get home tonight I'll default the router, return to stock firmware from merlin, set the modem in bridge by connecting to it directly and then connect it to the router to the modem and go through the setup process again.
Should I be looking at anything in particular that you can think of that would be causing my login attempts to fail? I must be hitting the correct IP because I get the asus background and login promt like ususl, but it just refuses to accept the credentials...

When you reinstall with a wired PC (remainder of network disconnected from the router), setup the gateway in bridge mode first (no DHCP service). Then reset and connect the router WAN and use simple/different router admin credentials at first and immediately test them, like admin, 12345678.

OE

no sorry, nothing than above mentioned, maybe others
There should be no need for Merlin for that, 32797 should be more stable till Merlin will update his code.

Well people, if I could blow you both a kiss I would!
The Bridge mode is now working and I think that it was the extra hard reboots that I neglected to do before that was causing the issue. On your advice I've also reverted to stock firmware until the Merlin firmware is updated to the newest Asus release although It may well work just fine with 384.6.

One final question. I would like to know if changing the DNS settings to google will cause any issues with the Asus DDNS that I now have set up? I only ask as I'm at work and don't want to do anything that'll lock me out until I get home. I'll be shirking work responsibility's in favour of repeatedly logging in (just because I'm a big child) to add torrents and look through the routers extended settings etc, which is somthing I never really get time to do when I'm at home.

Once again, a HUGE thanks for the help you've both given me... :)

Regards,

Nathan

Well people, if I could blow you both a kiss I would!
One final question. I would like to know if changing the DNS settings to google will cause any issues with the Asus DDNS that I now have set up? I only ask as I'm at work and don't want to do anything that'll lock me out until I get home. I'll be shirking work responsibility's in favour of repeatedly logging in (just because I'm a big child) to add torrents and look through the routers extended settings etc, which is somthing I never really get time to do when I'm at home.

no, wont lock you out (but never say never).