What's new

can't login/ssh to router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

naper82

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC68U running 384.17_0

Tried to login to UI this morning but it can't connect.
Tried to ssh to it but failed:
ssh admin@192.168.xx.1
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.17_0 Sun Apr 26 02:25:09 UTC 2020
-sh: can't fork
-sh: out of memory
Connection to 192.168.xx.1 closed​

internet/wifi seems worked fine though

besides power cycle, what else I can/should do?

thanks!

If your router has run out of memory to the point where you can't even SSH into it there's very little you can do other than reboot the router.

If your router has run out of memory to the point where you can't even SSH into it there's very little you can do other than reboot the router.

I've rebooted and it's come back.

I have about 40 devices but most of them are wifi bulbs/plugs. How do I check for things that could leads to the router run out of memory?

This is the only time I notice this happened in recently a few months.

I've rebooted and it's come back.

I have about 40 devices but most of them are wifi bulbs/plugs. How do I check for things that could leads to the router run out of memory?

This is the only time I notice this happened in recently a few months.
If you're running third party scripts or custom configs then any one of them could be the cause (as well as bugs in the firmware). So troubleshooting is extremely difficult unless a) the problem occurs frequently, and b) you can SSH into the router to perform some diagnostics.

As this has happened only once so far I would ignore it for the time being.

If you're running third party scripts or custom configs then any one of them could be the cause (as well as bugs in the firmware). So troubleshooting is extremely difficult unless a) the problem occurs frequently, and b) you can SSH into the router to perform some diagnostics.

As this has happened only once so far I would ignore it for the time being.

Thanks for the advice. I have very basic setting and no script so far.
Is it good idea to set up auto reboot every day/week?

Is it good idea to set up auto reboot every day/week?
I see no reason for you to do that at the moment. Wireless routers are expected to be run continuously without needing to be rebooted.

Personally, if there is a problem I would want to know about it so I could attempt to fix it. I can't do that if the problem is hidden by periodic reboots.