What's new

Can't map drive on AC56U in Windows 10 as router is not visible but already mapped drives still work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DanSmalley

New Around Here
Hi,

I posted here a while back about using my AC56U essentially as a switch and hard drive hub here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...o-that-attached-hdds-are-still-visible.54943/

Since updating to the 2004 edition of W10, I've not been able to see the router in the Network map but I do still have some drives mapped. While trying to understand and fix the problem, I suspected it might be related to the system time of the router being years out of date. It can't update the time via NTP and in trying to fix this I found that the router can't ping anywhere either, it thinks everywhere is a bad address. The device is in router mode so that it both serves the internet and the attached drives to the rest of the network but there is no WAN connection (I think that's the right term, on the network map under Internet Status it says the network cable is unplugged).

So my end goal is just to see the router under Network in Windows Explorer so I can map a drive again. If you have a direct solution for that great. If you can help with this weird NTP connectivity issue that would be great and might fix my drive mapping problem.

I'm using Merlin firmware 384.6.

Thanks

I would personally flash the @john9527 ’s 374 LTS fork and see if the problem persists:

This fork is by far the biggest favor you can do to your router which is supported neither by Asus nor by mainline Merlin anymore. Likely to solve the NTP issue.

One more little check: sometimes the shared drives aren’t visible in Windows Explorer, but you can still access them if you type your router’s IP into the address bar, e.g.:
\\192.168.1.1

I would personally flash the @john9527 ’s 374 LTS fork and see if the problem persists:

This fork is by far the biggest favor you can do to your router which is supported neither by Asus nor by mainline Merlin anymore. Likely to solve the NTP issue.

One more little check: sometimes the shared drives aren’t visible in Windows Explorer, but you can still access them if you type your router’s IP into the address bar, e.g.:
\\192.168.1.1

Brilliant, thank you. I entered the IP and was able to map the drive from there. I'll bear in mind updating the firmware as you suggested. Thanks.

ntp won't attempt to sync in router mode without a WAN/internet connection...

But, I just did a fix for someone on my fork in a similar config that will allow you to sync the router clock using a local ntp server...

Last edited:
Hi,

I posted here a while back about using my AC56U essentially as a switch and hard drive hub here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...o-that-attached-hdds-are-still-visible.54943/

Since updating to the 2004 edition of W10, I've not been able to see the router in the Network map but I do still have some drives mapped. While trying to understand and fix the problem, I suspected it might be related to the system time of the router being years out of date. It can't update the time via NTP and in trying to fix this I found that the router can't ping anywhere either, it thinks everywhere is a bad address. The device is in router mode so that it both serves the internet and the attached drives to the rest of the network but there is no WAN connection (I think that's the right term, on the network map under Internet Status it says the network cable is unplugged).

So my end goal is just to see the router under Network in Windows Explorer so I can map a drive again. If you have a direct solution for that great. If you can help with this weird NTP connectivity issue that would be great and might fix my drive mapping problem.

I'm using Merlin firmware 384.6.

Thanks
You could give this a spin, it is a version of RT-AC56U compiled up to 384.13_10 firmware of RMerlin. Let it be noted that this is not supported by RMerlin, but it does have his lastest commits up until the last 384.13_10.
https://easyupload.io/0t37jm

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!