What's new

Can't ping Media bridges at times from within my own network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nihilim

New Around Here
I have 2x RT-AC86U and one RT-AC68U router.

1 RT-AC86U is the main router connected to the internet the other 2 routers are set upp as media bridges that let other Ethernet devices connect to the internet.

At random I can't access the devices connected to the media bridges from within my own network. Sometime one of them and sometimes the other and at times both are inaccessible.

The weird part is one device is my NAS connected to the one media bridge, I can't access the NAS with the internal IP-address however if I try to access it through my external IP-adress and cloud adress I can reach it and it reaches the internet.

It drives me crazy, I have to restart the media bridge and then I can access it for some time.

I have one computer that is on all the time, I can connect to the internet on that computer while I can't reach the media bridge IP-adress which the computer is connected to.

Anyone with advice or similar issues in the past.

upload_2020-3-6_22-51-6.png

I have 2x RT-AC86U and one RT-AC68U router.

1 RT-AC86U is the main router connected to the internet the other 2 routers are set upp as media bridges that let other Ethernet devices connect to the internet.

At random I can't access the devices connected to the media bridges from within my own network. Sometime one of them and sometimes the other and at times both are inaccessible.

The weird part is one device is my NAS connected to the one media bridge, I can't access the NAS with the internal IP-address however if I try to access it through my external IP-adress and cloud adress I can reach it and it reaches the internet.

It drives me crazy, I have to restart the media bridge and then I can access it for some time.

I have one computer that is on all the time, I can connect to the internet on that computer while I can't reach the media bridge IP-adress which the computer is connected to.

Anyone with advice or similar issues in the past.

View attachment 21783

Some not-too-specific thoughts...

How are you assigning IP addresses? I see 140, 150, and 160... very tidy... are those manually-assigned by the router?... and what is the router DHCP server IP Pool?

Another tack... suspect the 86U router hardware, set it aside, and promote the media bridge 86U to be the router... as a test.

OE

Try with repeater mode instead of bridge mode (often read there are problems with it, on old firmwares some reported to be ok). Ignore their additional Wifi or set different SSID and hide it.

Some not-too-specific thoughts...

How are you assigning IP addresses? I see 140, 150, and 160... very tidy... are those manually-assigned by the router?... and what is the router DHCP server IP Pool?

Another tack... suspect the 86U router hardware, set it aside, and promote the media bridge 86U to be the router... as a test.

OE

The pool is:

upload_2020-3-7_15-29-31.png

I have set the IP addresses manually.

I have tried both 86U, I even went back to the store and swapped the latest one for a new one, same problem.

The pool is:

View attachment 21798

I have set the IP addresses manually.

I have tried both 86U, I even went back to the store and swapped the latest one for a new one, same problem.

Sounds like it could be a media bridge mode issue.

Have you tried AiMesh, instead?

OE

Sounds like it could be a media bridge mode issue.

Have you tried AiMesh, instead?

OE

That worked well for about 18 months then it just started disconnecting everything and didn't work well at all after that.

Honestly just got fed up at them moment with Wi-Fi, just pulled a cable outside my window to another room with a switch. Been struggling for a few weeks and don't have the know how to fix it. Should think that in 2020 Wi-Fi should work better without having to F#"k around that much. ASUS is promoting AiMesh to be the next holy grail....

That worked well for about 18 months then it just started disconnecting everything and didn't work well at all after that.

Honestly just got fed up at them moment with Wi-Fi, just pulled a cable outside my window to another room with a switch. Been struggling for a few weeks and don't have the know how to fix it. Should think that in 2020 Wi-Fi should work better without having to F#"k around that much. ASUS is promoting AiMesh to be the next holy grail....

The most recent firmware does well on separate SSIDs per band and fixed channels... in case you did not try that with your AiMesh.

OE