What's new

Can't ping PC behind router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Doug123

New Around Here
Hi Friends,

I have an asus Rt-n66r running a wired connection to a Win 8 PC running IIS which hosts a simple temporary HTML page. The internet connection is also wired and very reliable.

Ignoring the web server part, I am confident that the issue is with my router settings. The problem I have is that I cannot even ping the router IP from a friends house (different network). At home, on my LAN I can ping the external address with no problem, which I find very confusing. Furthermore, I can access the test HTML page. For testing purposes I have disabled the Firewall in the router and set the Respond Ping Request from WAN to Yes. When I visit a What's my IP web-site the IP shown is not the one that appears in the "Network Map" tab under "WAN IP" in my router admin page.

I'm a little lost and sure would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

When I visit a What's my IP web-site the IP shown is not the one that appears in the "Network Map" tab under "WAN IP" in my router admin page.
This is your problem.

What is the first octet of the WAN IP shown on the router? e.g. 123.x.y.z

What kind of device is your router's WAN socket plugged into? e.g. cable modem, ADSL modem, etc.

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your response:

1. 100 is the first octet of the "Wan IP"
2. The router is plugged into a high-speed wireless modem.

I've never had this issue before.

Thanks again,

Doug.

1. 100 is the first octet of the "Wan IP"
100.64.x.y to 100.127.x.y are CGNAT addresses. They are not public IP addresses so they are not reachable from the internet.

You will need to speak to your ISP and ask them if they can assign you a public IP address. Sometimes this is an option, perhaps for an additional fee.

Another forum member reported the same issue recently. In his case he found that each time he rebooted his modem there was a random chance of it getting a public IP address rather than a CGNAT address. So he just went with that as a work-around.

Side note: What is the make and model number of your "high-speed wireless modem"?

Weird. Thank you very much!!!

I will follow your advice.

It's on the roof, but I recall it being a "Hughes" I think. I'm sorry, I don't have any additional info and don't know the IP for it.

Doug.

It's on the roof, but I recall it being a "Hughes" I think. I'm sorry, I don't have any additional info and don't know the IP for it.
OK, thanks. I was just curious because I'm not familiar with these wireless modems.

Cool, it's all I can get out in here in the country. I do get respect speeds. (not satellite)

Update: IP taken out of the CGnet and I'm in business. Thanks again mate.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!