What's new

Can't Remote Desktop win10 20H2 via AX88U VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grst

New Around Here
Hi , all

I have a problem Can't Remote Desktop win10 20H2 via AX88U VPN

PC-A: win10 version 20H2, firewall off

PC-B: win10 enterprise LTSC, firewall off, two computers are in the same LAN, can RDP each other

iphone: IOS14.6 app: microsoft rd client (version 10.3)

Router: ASUS ax88u, firmware: Merlin 386.2.2

1: In the same local area network, the iphone can RDP to two computers

2: Do port mapping on the router, map port 3389 of PC-A to port 10000 , and map port 3389 of computer B to port 10001 . The iphone can RDP to both two computers through the 4G network.

3: The router as OPENVPN server (in merlin), the iphone connect through the 4G network by vpn client, and the iphone can RDP to PC-B , but cannot RDP to PC-A (can ping PC-A ), app error 0x204

4: The router as IP-SEC VPN server (in merlin), the iphone connect through the 4G network by vpn client, and the iphone can RDP to PC-B , but cannot RDP to PC-A (can ping PC-A ), app error 0x204

I would appreciate if anyone could help me :)

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english!

"One of the most common problems that will trigger the Error Code 0x204 is an instance in which the Remote Desktop Protocol is not enabled on the Windows machine"

Or the RDP port is not open / configured to use a different port.
PC-A may have an incorrect gateway while using a vpn. (unable to talk back)

1. It might be the firewalls on the PCs are configured differently? Since you can connect Ovpn to one and not the other, and ipsec to the other but not the one, RDP seems to be enabled on both.
2. Delete the port mapping for the moment to take that out of the equation?

I'm on an 86U, and I can RDP to two machines through my Ovpn server, either/both, but I don't have port forwarding in the mix.

Why not just run teamviewer on both machines, then you can access them anywhere.

Don't even need the VPN.

Why not just run teamviewer on both machines, then you can access them anywhere.

Don't even need the VPN.
Not everyone is confortable with TeamViewer, where you leave your entire computer's security in the hands of a third party. Also, RDP tends to be more optimal than TV for some usage scenarios.

Try to check/uncheck Allow remote connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network level authentication (recommended) option.

Finally, I solved the problem by install tightvnc service(another remote control software), and suddenly rdp can be used normally

Finally, I solved the problem by install tightvnc service(another remote control software), and suddenly rdp can be used normally
But that isn't RDP, right?

PS: I just had a PC update W10 and have lost RDP access to it.