What's new

Diversion Can't scan Bad USB Drive for Diversion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Istvanwagon

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am getting lots of error in my syslog (below) that I think means that I have a bad block on my external USB Drive supporting Diversion.

Jan 9 08:52:36 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_extent:908: inode #260642: comm sqlite3: pblk 1081349 bad header/extent: invalid magic - magic 642e, entries 25459, max 14693(0), depth 24878(0)
Jan 9 08:52:13 kernel: EXT4-fs error: 10 callbacks suppressed

I checked the disk log from AMTM and got the below:

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 8.51.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.00.57 PM.png

I followed https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/how-to-fix-disk-usb-key-errors.html but when I go to run the health scan in RMerlin 384.19 under Network Map, it only checks the final 5% of the drive and I get nothing in the log and no opportunity to fix anything.

Not being a Unix expert, I turned off the router and moved the USB Drive to my Rpi and tried to run fsck with it (fsck <path> with no options). But I get an error along the lines of it doesn't appear to be a valid ext2/ext3/ext4 drive unless there a swap file (which I know there is). It suggests trying to run efsck but I can't it it to work even when I unmount the drive, but I am sure I don't know the proper command here.

Anything I can do here other than blowing up the USB Drive and reformat? How do I do this given AMTM and RMerlin still work? Please keep it basic; I won't be insulted!

Thanks...

Last edited:
Probably be a good time to replace it, not reformat it.
I'm no expert, either, but I have had problems with them in the past.

Thanks. Do I need to reinstall Rmerlin and AMTM once I put in the new drive? Where should I start from since I won't have entware on a new drive?

To do it right and do it once, I suggest the following steps.
  • Format the new USB drive on a PC to NTFS file format. Do not insert it into the router yet.
  • Remove all USB drives from the router (if any) by 'Safely removing them' via the GUI.
  • On the router, check the box to 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot'.
  • Make sure to hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page.
  • Reboot the router via the GUI 3 times in the next 15 minutes. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.
  • After the router has rebooted the last time and has stabilized again (about 5 minutes or so), insert the new USB drive you bought and prepared above.
Note that amtm is installed with the firmware on anything newer than RMerlin 384.15_0, so the steps below to 'install' amtm do not apply. Otherwise, follow the steps below to get your scripts back to working order.

I do not recommend taking or using a backup of the scripts. Much faster, more stable, and reliable, and easier to troubleshoot (without having to repeat the steps above) if you just clean install everything from scratch again.

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Thanks -- all good now!

I would replace the thumbdrive with a small SSD; it will last you much longer. Otherwise, I concur with everything L&LD said.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!