What's new

Can't seem to get DoT to work with Cloudflare

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The more I've messed with it, the more I think that I just can't reach those domains for whatever reason.

The fact that I don't even get a confirmation on Clodflare's test site that I'm using their DNS, when I can verify that I am through other methods, makes me think this is some fringe case and DoT is actually working fine.

It's possible your ISP or County do not allow encrypted DNS over TLS via cloud flare domains since your encrypting the dns domain lookups. That's not to say they can't see the reverse lookup the ip address your connected to but likely more of a pain in the butt. That said I have no idea why you cannot connect to cloudflare via DoT. My suggestion would be to attempt to use a vpn on the router with DoT or a VPN on your computer with a browser with DoT support.

After learning the basics of tcpdump, I can confirm that DoT is working. All DNS queries are using port 853, and if I disable DoT, then I see port 53 as expected. I'm going to just chalk up Cloudflare's test page as having a grudge towards some facet of my setup or ISP.

After learning the basics of tcpdump, I can confirm that DoT is working. All DNS queries are using port 853, and if I disable DoT, then I see port 53 as expected. I'm going to just chalk up Cloudflare's test page as having a grudge towards some facet of my setup or ISP.
If you want, install bind-dig from Entware and run some test queries:
Code:
dig is-dot.help.every1dns.net @127.0.0.1
dig is-dot.help.every1dns.net @127.0.1.1
dig is-dot.help.every1dns.net +tls @1.1.1.1
In theory, all should produce the same answers. But if they differ, that might tell us something.

RT-AX86U Pro, Merlin 388.2. My WAN settings generally look like the others posted. My question has to do with the dnscheck results. The results populate with my ISP address, the ad guard dns resolvers, and DNSSEC passes. About 5 seconds later the Cloudflare DNS resolver info populates. Not sure if that's good or bad.

1684342309228.png

1684342338531.png