What's new

Can't update to latest firmware on RT-AC86u.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lighting

Regular Contributor
There's an RT-AC86U with rMerlin 384.13 that I manage for a non-profit. Working fine, pretty simple configuration. I've tried four times to manually upgrade to 384.14_2, including a couple times right after simple reboots. It goes into its 3 minute upload thing, seems to be going fine, reboots and *presto* -- still indicates that it's running the old firmware. Anybody ever seen this? Maybe it's factory reset and manual configure time? Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you re-downloaded the firmware? No usb drives attached? Did you download the 68U firmware by mistake (has happened to a number of users here by accident).

What you say simple reboots, do you mean a soft reboot or a power cycle?
My 86u refuses to update unless I have performed a full power cycle immediately prior.

I've noticed, the past few (dirty, dirty) upgrades, that it takes a 2nd upload of the firmware to get it to "stick;" That would probably change if I were to perform the M&M routine on it...

I've been trying a new method when the router is using a USB drive that doesn't seem to require a reboot first. :)

I go to the GUI and 'Safely remove drive'. I wait a good 2 minutes after the USB is unmounted and the CPU cores are idle before I flash the new firmware and all just works great.

The best example of this was when I upgraded an RT-AC3100 with 81 days uptime. I safely removed the USB drive, waited 2 or 3 minutes for the GUI to refresh and the cores to go idle and then flashed the latest 384.15 Alpha 1 (Jan 1) firmware on it. The firmware 'took' the very first time and when it had finished booting up all the scripts were fully available. A second reboot (something I do by default) after an additional 15 - 20 minutes and the router and network are stable a week later.

I am trying to determine if we can restart all services on the router (even when not using a USB drive) and forego a reboot? I haven't really pursued that yet, but if I do, it will be with the help @Jack Yaz' scMerlin script. :)

I go to the GUI and 'Safely remove drive'. I wait a good 2 minutes after the USB is unmounted and the CPU cores are idle before I flash the new firmware and all just works great.
+1

I’ll have to try to remember this for when 384.15 goes stable. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally seem to have succeeded in updating the router to 384.14_2, but only after a factory reset. Simple power-down reboot wasn't enough, trying 384.14 didn't do it.

Parenthetically, a factory reset through the GUI doesn't seem to do anything, have to do the power up with WPS button held.

Thanks for all the input!