What's new

Capturing packets on Asus AX6600 XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mahatma

New Around Here
I would like to monitor all packets going through an xt8 router. From what I've gathered I can either use port mirroring, or I can flash the router's ROM with 'entware' which will add some utilities like snort to the router's BusyBox.
The first option will allow me to install what ever tools I want, like suricata etc. But there's the packet loss issues. That's why I would like to add entware on the router, but the xt8 has kernel 4.152 and I'm not sure entware supports that.

So my questions are:
A. Are the two options I've mentioned the only reasonable ones I have?
B. Can I flash an xt8 with entware or some other package to add packet sniffing abilities?

Last edited:
All packets going where? Your network and the internet? Or also your internal LAN too/only?

I don't think either of those options is available to you with any Asus router. Not enough resources are available.

If you're just looking for packets from your network and the internet, buy a small managed switch with the capabilities you require and put it between your ISP and your router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!