What's new

Cascade Two Routers for IOT devices and Home Network Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zorax222

Occasional Visitor
I run all my IoT devices on the router connected directly to the Internet. The devices that use WiFi connect using guest networks blocked from accessing the intranet. Also by being on the first router they can't access any thing on the router double NATed behind this router but it is possible for devices on the second router to access devices on the first router.

My second router is double NATed behind the Internet connected router. From devices connected to this network I can access the IoT devices or they are accessible over the Internet using apps on phones or tablets including my security camera, garage door opener, thermostat, wifi controlled outlets. No special routing or port forwarding is required since these devices are accessible from the Internet. Same for my Amazon spot. I have no need to access things such as Dash buttons which have only a single function once setup.

My point being if you want to securely isolate your IoT devices go ahead and try it. It will probably work just fine.

I’m looking for help to fully understand how to implement this recommendation and have Googled all kinds of information on cascading routers but don’t fully understand everything. Here is what I think I need to do:

IOT Router #1 – 192.168.1.1 use DHCP with a static address for Home Network Router #2, connected to bridged cable modem (disabled router on cable modem)

Home Network Router #2 – Static 192.168.1.2, connect WAN port of router #2 to LAN port on Router #1, use a new DHCP range for Router #2 – 192.168.X+1.x

If I understand this correctly, Router #1 is connected to the modem and has full internet access, Router #1 cannot access Router #2.

Router #2 is connected via its WAN port to the LAN port on Router #1 giving Router #2 internet access and the ability to access devices on Router #1.

Does Router #1 essentially use all the normal router settings I would normally use for my network configuration?

Should Router #1 have a DMZ for Router #2 at its static address 192.168.1.2 or does that defeat the purpose of Router #2?

How / what ports are forwarded (and from which router) to allow Router #2 to access devices on Router #1 like a printer or other device? Can you provide an example of how to a laser printer on Router #1 with a static IP of 192.168.1.10 from a computer / device on Router #2?

Is any configuration of the LAN Route page needed (Network Host IP, Netmask, Gateway, Metric, Interface – LAN, MAN, WAN) on either Router?

Again, assuming Router #1 has the normal configuration for the WAN / Internet connection page that I already use, what changes are needed for Router #2?

Your concept would work extremely well for my setup (and I’m guessing many others). Hopefully, there can be a sticky discussing the methodology for others to follow. Thanks for your help!

I believe you're over-thinking this. @CaptainSTX's explanation is about as clear as it's able to be. Just connect everything up as he said and that's it. No need for DMZ, no port forwarding, no static routes.

You have a PC on 192.168.2.55 that wants to print to a printer at 192.168.1.10? - Fine that'll work, just plug the IP address into your printer driver.

I believe you're over-thinking this. @CaptainSTX's explanation is about as clear as it's able to be. Just connect everything up as he said and that's it. No need for DMZ, no port forwarding, no static routes.

You have a PC on 192.168.2.55 that wants to print to a printer at 192.168.1.10? - Fine that'll work, just plug the IP address into your printer driver.

@CaptainSTX kindly sent me a PM with complete instructions. You may be right in terms of over-thinking it. I look forward to giving it a try with @CaptainSTX's instructions. It seems like a great way to meet my needs without a lot of complexity.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!