What's new

Cascade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How to cascade routing

• Router connected to a modem that is also a router

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cascade routing, without flashing firmware

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Raulillo

New Around Here
Hello all, is there a guide to "cascade" these Asus routers? I got the router on my modem, but a computer connected to the modem NOT the router and I cannot access the router from it. I have seen many guides but they mostly don't seem to fit this specific router. Also, i think my main modem does not have the traditional 192.168.1.1 it is 10.0.0.82 if I'm not wrong.

Also, i wonder if RT-AC56R is the same as RT-AC56U when it comes to flash the firmware

Thanks in advance for the help :D and sorry if this is a repeated post

Hello all, is there a guide to "cascade" these Asus routers? I got the router on my modem, but a computer connected to the modem NOT the router and I cannot access the router from it. I have seen many guides but they mostly don't seem to fit this specific router. Also, i think my main modem does not have the traditional 192.168.1.1 it is 10.0.0.82 if I'm not wrong.

Also, i wonder if RT-AC56R is the same as RT-AC56U when it comes to flash the firmware

Thanks in advance for the help :D and sorry if this is a repeated post
There is an article on small net builders. Here is a post with some article links.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/connect-router-for-vpn-use-with-dsl-modem.39840/#post-333981

The problem is that when i disable DHCP the router turn totally bricked by both wifi and lan cable. My modem is the first router 10.0.0.138 the secondary router is 192.168.1.1 i cannot change to 10.0.0.138 or any other 10.0.0.x because it gives me error it cannot be same WAN and if i change to 10.0.1.138 its still not accesible tru the main router

The problem is that when i disable DHCP the router turn totally bricked by both wifi and lan cable. My modem is the first router 10.0.0.138 the secondary router is 192.168.1.1 i cannot change to 10.0.0.138 or any other 10.0.0.x because it gives me error it cannot be same WAN and if i change to 10.0.1.138 its still not accesible tru the main router
I believe the issue is because the modem and router are on different IP address subnets. I have a similar setup. But I use the 192.168.x.x IP for the modem and the 1 pfSense appliance and two AC88U routers that are connected to it, with the 3rd x octave being different for each device. If I ever need to access the modem, which is now in bridge mode BTW, I have to set a static IP address on my IPv4 Adapter Properties on my client laptop to be something like 192.168.1.5, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway the IP address of the router, 192.168.1.1 as I have WiFi and DHCP turned off on the modem/router. You do this in Windows thru the Network and Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings, Right click on the WiFi or ETH adapter, scroll to the IPv4 entry, right click on properties. Then select the radio button for Assign Static IP and make the appropriate entry.

About a year ago. before I had fiber, I had a DSL modem/router. I then connected my router running OpenVPN to it using the LAN to WAN connection per the Linksys article I referenced in other post. In this setup I could access the modem/router web gui thru the router running OpenVPN since it was assigned a static IP address by the modem/router, which was 192.168.1.2. However, the IP address of the router connected to the modem/router was 192.168.2.1. Hope this last statement did not cause confusion. But it is explained in the articles I referenced.

Last edited:

Have you considered configuring the ASUS router as an Access Point, and letting the modem/router handle all DHCP on a single subnet?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!