What's new

Cat 6 Patch Panels - Keystone or Traditional?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avery

Regular Contributor
Looking at patch panels... For residential ethernet - is it any better to use a traditional patch panel versus a plate that you insert the keystone jack? I will probably have 30-40 terminations, and will likely buy a whole-keystone jack punchdown tool, as well, but not sure if these types of patch panels are considered not as good.

Looking at patch panels... For residential ethernet - is it any better to use a traditional patch panel versus a plate that you insert the keystone jack? I will probably have 30-40 terminations, and will likely buy a whole-keystone jack punchdown tool, as well, but not sure if these types of patch panels are considered not as good.
There is no definitive answer because either way will have advantages & disadvantages.
With Keystone couplers you will have twice as many contacts every-time you pass through a coupler... But you will eliminate human error re installation.
The Keystone couples will drive up your cost substantially, however... with your installation-time being accounted for... manually punching all terminations your time will add up... & if you're tired, the possibility of making mistakes will likely increase. Note: I really doubt using two Keystone couplers per line would impair ones ability to achieve 1G or faster speeds.

In either setup you end up up with a female RJ-45 Jack at both ends of the cable. You don't use couplers but take a jumper cable and plug one end into the patch panel and the other into a LAN port on your switch. You will be better off buying factory made jumper cables as it isn't worth the time and effort to make your own short cables with male jacks on both ends.

For the number of ports you want on a patch panel I would probably go with a pre-made patch panel as it would be more compact and finding a neat method to mount 30 - 40 keystone jacks is going to take some research. I have fabricated small patch panels using a quad electrical boxs and then mounting four duplex Decora style RJ-45 female jacks, but going bigger to this means both finding a box(s) and face plate covers.

I might not have been clear in my question. I'm referring to using keystones in one of these:

versus one of these 110 style patch panels:

Keystones are easier to work with and configuration mistakes can be isolated. Imagine changing your rack location or replacing a cable.

Why not just do a 48 port panel?

The number is less of the focus.... I was just illustrating a 110 style patch panel, vs one that keystones snap into.

In either setup you end up up with a female RJ-45 Jack at both ends of the cable. You don't use couplers but take a jumper cable and plug one end into the patch panel and the other into a LAN port on your switch. You will be better off buying factory made jumper cables as it isn't worth the time and effort to make your own short cables with male jacks on both ends.

For the number of ports you want on a patch panel I would probably go with a pre-made patch panel as it would be more compact and finding a neat method to mount 30 - 40 keystone jacks is going to take some research. I have fabricated small patch panels using a quad electrical boxs and then mounting four duplex Decora style RJ-45 female jacks, but going bigger to this means both finding a box(s) and face plate covers.
Thanks.

I missed this one earlier. The patch panel frames that you snap the keystones into are readily available... some examples linked above. It sounds like the keystone 'templates' may be the way to go.

Key stone: No.
Traditional Patch Panel: Yes. $1 punch down tool is enough for you.
This is just an example for professionals. Go to Amazon and buy something.

Last edited:
When I wired my new home, I used the 110 style panel. Cheap and easy to use. For room outlets, I used Leviton modular connectors. Also easy to use, but expensive.
As others have said, it's a matter of preference.

Thanks, all. Doesn't sound like here are any real pros or cons. I am going to go with the modular style, for ease of maintenance and adding/removing/replacing later. That also lets me use a full-jack punch-down tool, which should reduce the risk of me screwing it up - given I've only done this in one home previously.

Now, I just need to figure out which of those systems to go with. Leaning towards ICC HD or Belden REVConnect, possibly Platinum's system.

Thanks, all. Doesn't sound like here are any real pros or cons. I am going to go with the modular style, for ease of maintenance and adding/removing/replacing later. That also lets me use a full-jack punch-down tool, which should reduce the risk of me screwing it up - given I've only done this in one home previously.

Now, I just need to figure out which of those systems to go with. Leaning towards ICC HD or Belden REVConnect, possibly Platinum's system.
Then use a shielded key stone. Absolutely CAT.7 SFTP with STP RJ45 or above right? 10gb would be nice. But why don't you use Fiber system?

Last edited:
110-style panel terminated at the attic. Shielded
RJ45 faceplates as outlets in rooms.