What's new

CAT5 - Patch Panel helpful or not?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

austin_bob

Occasional Visitor
Hi - I am doing an upgrade of hardware in my home network - NAS, cable modem, router, and switch. I have CAT5 (circa 2000), but my current Netgear GS116 switch indicates most are 1GB. Re-running new cable is not feasible. I replaced all the RJ45 connectors, but have not tested yet for actual speed (don't have laptops with network ports) or correct wiring (tester on the way). So my question is whether a patch panel like this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVQI8B6/?tag=snbforums-20) would likely provide a better connection - or - possibly introduce more interference with all the exposed connections in such close proximity. I have read several posts recommending the patch panel, but when talking with my company IT person he mentioned the interference issue. I think I did a decent job on the male RJ45 connections, but I don't do them often.

Every additional connection is resistance and theoretically degrades performance, if your cables fit now, why would you like to put this inbetween?

Every additional connection is resistance and theoretically degrades performance, if your cables fit now, why would you like to put this inbetween?

Unless you need to change connections frequently the patch panel offers few advantages over just plugging the cables directly terminated with male plugs into a switch.

One advantage of a patch panel is it eliminates the necessity of terminating male RJ45 plugs. You instead punch the cables down on the patch panel and then use store bought jumpers to connect between switch ports and patch panel ports.

One advantage of a patch panel is it eliminates the necessity of terminating male RJ45 plugs. You instead punch the cables down on the patch panel and then use store bought jumpers to connect between switch ports and patch panel ports.

That's my question - the punch down will be a solid connection and eliminate possibility of problem of bad male RJ45 termination; but I had heard that the disadvantage is that there can be a lot of new noise from having the large number of exposed wires (albeit very short lengths) in close proximity.

Personally, I like the look of the punch panel and it would help organize the media hub. If it creates a better connection than the RJ45 and DOES NOT introduce network noise, then it seems like the best practice?

Remember your data network is all digital. Just 0s and 1s.

With RF analog transmissions cross talk and noise would be much more of a concern. If it was an issue wouldn't data centers with thousands of connections be concerned?

With punch down connections as a non pro you will probably get more uniform connections than you will than by attaching male connectors.