What's new

Cat6 24awg and POE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lardo5150

Regular Contributor
Will there be any problems with a Cat6 24awg UTP(pure bare copper wire) for POE.

Specifically a large 75ft run and a couple of 5 foot runs?

This is for a device with 802.3af/at

(I am aware of 23awg being more ideal)

Last edited:
Presuming the 75-foot run is solid core, 802.3at should propagate no problem. If it's stranded core, it should work, but you'll have higher line loss (thus, why solid core is always used for longer runs with PoE). The shorter pieces of patch are almost assuredly stranded core, but should carry 802.3at/af no problem at such minimal length.

Presuming the 75-foot run is solid core, 802.3at should propagate no problem. If it's stranded core, it should work, but you'll have higher line loss (thus, why solid core is always used for longer runs with PoE). The shorter pieces of patch are almost assuredly stranded core, but should carry 802.3at/af no problem at such minimal length.

Ha, I was hoping you would reply. Thanks man.
I think for the longer run, I will look for something else then.
Shopping on Monoprice, any cost aware recommendations you can give me?
As you know from my previous posts, I am revamping my wireless at the house, so I want it to be perfect (as close to really)

I personally don't use Monoprice. It isn't necessarily bad, per say, but I'd rather use legit TAA/BAA commercial-class brands like Belden, Berk-Tek, Mohawk, Superior, Panduit (I could go on...). Look for stuff like that at local commercial distributors or surplus warehouses. In the US, you can find it online for fairly cheap. Berk-Tek LANMark Cat6 can be found cheap in several places. Vertical Cable is another brand that's good as well (made in the USA, too).

I personally don't use Monoprice. It isn't necessarily bad, per say, but I'd rather use legit TAA/BAA commercial-class brands like Belden, Berk-Tek, Mohawk, Superior, Panduit (I could go on...). Look for stuff like that at local commercial distributors or surplus warehouses. In the US, you can find it online for fairly cheap. Berk-Tek LANMark Cat6 can be found cheap in several places. Vertical Cable is another brand that's good as well (made in the USA, too).

Trip, any recs on where I can buy some legit RJ45 inline coupler keystone jacks (just for ease of use)?
The ones I have gotten at monoprice have the circuit board in them I think, they constantly fail on me.

Trip, any recs on where I can buy some legit RJ45 inline coupler keystone jacks (just for ease of use)?
The ones I have gotten at monoprice have the circuit board in them I think, they constantly fail on me.

Circuit board?

Circuit board?

sorry, disclaimer, I may have no idea what I am talking about, so bare with me. I was reading some reviews on the RJ45 inline coupler keystone jacks on monoprice and amazon, they were mentioning some circuit board in there that would go bad (which has happened to me on more than one occasion).
Have been googling all morning, trying to find some legit ones other than monoprice.

Besides finding another brand of keystone coupler, I'd consider a junction box (punch-down coupler) instead (example). Two fewer physical interfaces means two fewer distinct points of failure.

Any reason you need inline couplers?

If you are planning to install pre terminated cables to avoid having to terminate them yourself this approach may lead to problems with your LAN.

General rule of thumb in networks is the fewer junctions and/or connectors the better.

sorry, disclaimer, I may have no idea what I am talking about, so bare with me. I was reading some reviews on the RJ45 inline coupler keystone jacks on monoprice and amazon, they were mentioning some circuit board in there that would go bad (which has happened to me on more than one occasion).
Have been googling all morning, trying to find some legit ones other than monoprice.

I cannot understand how or why the circuit board in the coupler would go bad. Very basic tech.