What's new

Cat6/7 faceplates & installation advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adam clarke

New Around Here
Hello

I recently bought my first house which needed a full rewire. As part of this, I had CAT 7 cables ran throughout the house. I'm aware cat 7 is overkill, especially in the home environment, however when I purchased it, it was on offer for just slightly more than the price of cat 6 so it seemed worth it. The main reason for this was due to the shielding, I knew they were going to be run alongside other cables so the extra shielding wouldn't hurt.

Currently the cables are in place and hanging out of the walls through double back boxes. I'm unsure as to the best way of finishing the job and getting them hooked up to faceplates and ready to use.

I've done lots of googling but just cant seem to come to a final solution! It seems as though you cant get cat7 ready faceplates so I'll have to use cat 6 ones? I've came across these on Amazon, will they do the job? The listing states "with Quad 50 x 25 modules" so im guessing it comes loaded with the rj45 connectors I need?

Amazon -> 4 Port Double Socket RJ45 Network Cat 6 FacePlate: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have then read about rj45 connectors vs keystone jacks, and to be honest, I can't find an answer as to which is advisable/better. I take it those modules are designed universally to fit this type of faceplate?

Or is this combination of an empty faceplate and keystone jack modules better?

17-0112-02 MOLEX PREMISE NETWORK, Faceplate, Wallplate, Molex Premise Network Euromod Data/Voice Outlets, 2, White, Euromod Series | Farnell element14

cat6 keystone jack - product catalogue

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Since cat 7 stuff doesn't really exist yet, you can finish the job using cat5 or cat6. More than likely, as long as you follow the cat6 spec to the T, it should pass the cat7 test for all practical purposes whenever the spec is finalized.

Cat 7 is probably just rebranded Cat 6a or something that (slightly) exceeds Cat 6a specs. That said I'd terminate as if it were Cat 6a.

I'm assuming:
Keystone jack = Female jack
RJ45 = Male plug.

I'd use Keystone jacks over running wires out with RJ45 connectors. Two reasons:
* Keystones are much easier to terminate than RJ45s (especially for Cat 6a as most of them need different plugs then Cat 6 RJ45s). You can probably use a Cat 6 keystone on Cat 7 wire just fine.
* RJ45s are never the length you need. So you end up with a coil or coupler. The wire you have is solid core so it won't coil as nicely as patch cables. With Keystones you just get the length you need.
* Keystones are what people would expect (think about the next owner).

If you talking about the wiring closet (where all the wire is run back to) then I might be tempted to use RJ45s there (to save on £) as those won't be plugged/unplugged often and lengths won't change much.

Cat 7 is probably just rebranded Cat 6a or something that (slightly) exceeds Cat 6a specs. That said I'd terminate as if it were Cat 6a.

I'm assuming:
Keystone jack = Female jack
RJ45 = Male plug.

I'd use Keystone jacks over running wires out with RJ45 connectors. Two reasons:
* Keystones are much easier to terminate than RJ45s (especially for Cat 6a as most of them need different plugs then Cat 6 RJ45s). You can probably use a Cat 6 keystone on Cat 7 wire just fine.
* RJ45s are never the length you need. So you end up with a coil or coupler. The wire you have is solid core so it won't coil as nicely as patch cables. With Keystones you just get the length you need.
* Keystones are what people would expect (think about the next owner).

If you talking about the wiring closet (where all the wire is run back to) then I might be tempted to use RJ45s there (to save on £) as those won't be plugged/unplugged often and lengths won't change much.

hello,

sorry but what do you mean running wires out? I definitely wont be running wires out. The product I posted was similar to this: http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...4461&category=67279&pm=1&ds=0&t=1490695547695

the cable from the wall would be connected to the back of the faceplate, then new cables plugged into the faceplate and then onto the device?

Some people choose not to put a face plate on with jacks. They instead just terminate the end with a male RJ-45 and out to the device they want to plug-in and then use a generic blank plate to cover the box. Saves time and money, looks like arse, and if moved around a bunch will eventually cause issues.

And never assume keystone modules are compatible with face plates from another manufacturer. Sometimes they work, most often they do not. I purchased the bulk of my face plates and keystone jacks from monoprice...however it appears you may be in the UK and no idea if they sell there or not.

And never assume keystone modules are compatible with face plates from another manufacturer. Sometimes they work, most often they do not. I purchased the bulk of my face plates and keystone jacks from monoprice...however it appears you may be in the UK and no idea if they sell there or not.

Try to buy all from the same vendor, and buy some spares... jacks can go bad..

I've just done a very similar job and experienced exactly the same stumbling block. I ended up going for CAT6A throughout and used these shielded keystones for my install. After a lot of research this combination of parts worked for me so I thought it would be worth sharing.

Excel Cat6A Low Profile Screened Keystone Jack in conjunction with these shutters Excel Euromod 25 x 50mm Flat Keystone Shutter

The low profile screened keystone clip into the shutter, the shutter will then clips into a Euromod faceplate. I tend to us MK faceplates personally but there is a multitude of choice out there depending on budget/aesthetics.

As you are running shielded cable I believe you should be using screened terminations at both ends. Everything in my install ran back one small room to this patch panel Excel 24 port 1U Unloaded Black Keystone Frame and was grounded at the cabinet.

The keystone jacks are a little tricky to install, compared to standard CAT6 but it's all pretty straight forward once you've done a couple. Here is a video for reference on how to terminate a CAT6A.

I hope that's of use. Like other posters have mentioned I haven't seen any CAT7 keystones, let me know if you find any. Good luck!

I've just done a very similar job and experienced exactly the same stumbling block. I ended up going for CAT6A throughout and used these shielded keystones for my install. After a lot of research this combination of parts worked for me so I thought it would be worth sharing.

that's probably over-building ;)

CAT5E is good enough for most home wiring installs, with the keystones accordingly, even in the largest homes or a small business complex.

We don't run data center class servers in every room, and even 4K can run nice over GBe links on CAT5e -- if there's problems, it must be a really big house :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!