What's new

Cat6 for 10GB copper home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PeterTTT

New Around Here
The 10GB specification says that Cat6 not Cat6a can be used for distances under 50m, which in my case is fine as the house is 25 meters and the longest theoretical run with be ~ 30 meters with most lest than 15 m.

Have anyone tried that in real and tested the speed? I am worried that the switch might detect try on higher Mhz and not be able to establish link and then throttle down.

Thanks in advance,
PeterT

I haven't tried it but I will say that having media on both ends of the connection (ie HDD's) that can actually fully saturate a 10Gbe connection isn't likely unless they are NVMe drives.

I haven't tried it but I will say that having media on both ends of the connection (ie HDD's) that can actually fully saturate a 10Gbe connection isn't likely unless they are NVMe drives.
not necessarily. You could have a 6 drives in raid 5 to max out a 10Gb/s connection.

Dont think its useless to upgrade to 10Gb/s without the storage to back it up, plenty of reasons.

not necessarily. You could have a 6 drives in raid 5 to max out a 10Gb/s connection.

Dont think its useless to upgrade to 10Gb/s without the storage to back it up, plenty of reasons.

I admit I wan to do it at home but I just don't see a point to it at this time. Good switches are too expensive to be practical imo but you are right that with multiple drives in RAID it could happen. Writes though no RAID 5 even with 6 drives couldn't max out a 10Gb/s connection could it?

I admit I wan to do it at home but I just don't see a point to it at this time. Good switches are too expensive to be practical imo but you are right that with multiple drives in RAID it could happen. Writes though no RAID 5 even with 6 drives couldn't max out a 10Gb/s connection could it?
you can use the cat6 cables for HDMI passthrough. with 2 pairs of cat6 cables you can pass 1080p 60 fps around the house :p. Plenty of reasons.

As for 10Gb/s its actually cheaper to use SFP+ with SFP+ direct with 5m or less at the moment as SFP+ switches are way cheaper but cost you more on the modules.

Still you can at least start with multiple 1Gb/s first. You can put the cables in first, equipment later. Some switches like ubiquiti have both 10Gb/s ethernet and SFP+ together.