What's new

cause for constant crashes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hufflepuff

New Around Here
i am getting virturally daily crashes on my AC66U, usually after some use, so around 9~10 in the evening.

despire doing full resets, trying dozens of different builds i cannot find the cause.

here you can download the logfile i saved directly after a crash:

http://zwelgje.xs4all.nl/syslog.txt

i hope someone can help me otherwise i am forced to get rid of the router and ditch merlin for something else.

Your JFFS partition looks to be corrupted. Try reformatting it (under System -> Administration, reboot after enabling the option).

i have formatted the partition. it wil take a few days to see if it holds.

how do you came to the conclusion that the partition is bad?
would the partition not be formatted after a clean installation/factory reset?

dumb question: what is the purpose of the partition?

how do you came to the conclusion that the partition is bad?

Your log is filled with reports about random content on the JFFS partition.

i still get reboots once every 2 days or so. usually it is preceded by the wifi crapping out completly before it either reboots or simply craps out killing the internet for all devices (wired and unwired)

i made a new log: http://zwelgje.xs4all.nl/syslog.txt (2)

this is after a uptime of 1 day 18h. i expect it to crash later today.

Have you also tried reflashing the same firmware again in case there was something wrong in the last flashing process?

I see this which may be the cause of errors:

Jan 30 22:22:44 pptpd[511]: MGR: Maximum of 100 connections reduced to 30, not enough IP addresses given

I don't understand that much, but pptpd might be related to PPTP VPN? Have you tried increasing PPTP Client IP Address range? Or DHCP server range? Not sure if it is related, but you can try.

Last edited:

despire doing full resets, trying dozens of different builds i cannot find the cause.

On the basis of "never assume, check", can you please clarify something: when you say "despite doing full resets", do you mean you are restoring to factory default settings (RFDS) AFTER flashing the firmware? If that's the case just also clarify the method you used to carry out the RFDS.

Thanks

i usually use the factory reset option in merlin itself.

i will try tonight to do a recovery mode firmware upload so i can get the latest version and do a factory reset at the same time.

ps: the router has been"stable" for almost 3 days now. it's almost a record...

edit: uploaded the latest firmware in recovery mode and did a fatory reset in merlin as it kept all my settings after flashing.

Last edited:
i did install the latest version, did a factory reset after installing and instead of putting back the old config file i set everything back up manually to exclude a error in the config file. i just notitced it rebooted 30 minutes ago.

http://zwelgje.xs4all.nl/syslog.txt (2)

reviewing the log myself i cannot find anything that would cause a reboot.

any great idea's on what to do? exept from getting another router...

... i set everything back up manually......

any great idea's on what to do? exept from getting another router...

No great ideas but a question: good that you set everything up manually, but how much is "everything"? For example, do you have any additional software running on the router; do you have anything plugged into your USB ports?

The only thought is perhaps to reset to factory default status again and then following L&LD's strategy of getting the router running with very basic settings - just enough to get you going - and then gradually adding your settings bit by bit until, hopefully, you find which setting is causing your problem. A lot of patience and perseverence needed!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wifi-issue-with-rt-ac88u-and-380-63_2.35739/#post-291147

By the way, you said you installed the latest version of Merlin's firmware; which version was installed before the update (and, I presume, with which you didn't have the crashes)?

I don't suppose you have a spare power supply you could try, just in case the cause of the crashes is external?

Last edited:
i set up everything manually and bare. so only PPPoE login for WAN and vlan settings in order to get internet, native ipv6 (yes, my ISP is part of the 21 century and i have a fixed ipv4 adress), PPTP server with a few accounts. standard wifi setup (TX power at 50%).
all asus related crap and usb stuff is disabled and only a few port settings so my server can be seen from the internets as you can see with the above posted logs.
the crashes are playing a long time over loads of different versions. it took me a while to notice the reboots in the first place.

there is not a single settingi use case that would explain the router crapping out when the wife watches funny cat videos on youtube and i am playing some games or just regular internet crap. the biggest "load" it has is my server that is running utorrent (with quite reasonable settings, very much within the scope of what the router can handle) and should not be any reason for it to crash every 2 days (wich it still does FYI) exactly when i am actively using the internet and 1 or 2 devices on the wifi.

personally i am kinda done with this router. it's nicely featured and it can sorta handle 500mbit traffic but constantly crapping out exactly when i need it to preform is simply inexcusable for a expensive router like this.

if anyone has any experience with routers that can deliver a solid 500-750 over the WAN port i am all ears. i plan to separate the wifi and the router to optimise placement more.

I had similar issues with my AC66 when IPv6 was enabled.
I bought an AC56, disabled wifi on it and set up the AC66 as AP.
Used AC56 are cheep and IPv6 implementation on it works. I have given up on IPv6 on the AC66.

why would putting another 100 euro router with basically the same software in front of it solve anything? why spend another 100 euro to solve a problem with another 150 euro router? seems like a bad investment and not to mention the extra power draw.

Being different platforms and on different kernel versions it's not rely the same software. I bought the AC66 more than a year ago and the AC56 is second hand. Both combined cost me about 150 euros, 100 + 50. I know I could have bought a AC68 from the start but back then it was over my budget. AC56 has better CPU and the AC66 has better radios. On the plus side now I have 4 lan ports to spare.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!