1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Causes for some Android devices to slow to crawl until wifi reset?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by binarydad, Oct 8, 2018.

1. binarydad

binarydad Regular Contributor

This isn't really a problem but curious if it may be a problem with my ASUS WAP. Ocassionally, a couple of my Android devices will show as connected, but slow to a crawl (typically a few KB/s) until I reset the WiFi on the phone and it works perfectly. Sometimes, on one device, only the UPLOAD speed slows to a crawl. Another may do a similar behavior but on the 2.4 band.

Device A: may sometimes slow to crawl, or just upload slows to crawl (android tablet on 5ghz)
    Device B: may sometimes slow to crawl (galaxy s4 on 2.4ghz)

I'm curious if this kind of behavior is device independent or may mean there's an issue with the WAP. Maybe something with the power management on the devices (though they're set to not sleep)? All other devices (about a dozen almost on both bands) work just perfectly. Thanks.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Marica Calma

Marica Calma New Around Here

There are several things that could be causing the problem. It can be because of an errant app, lack of free space, fancy effects or background processes and slow WIFI connection itself. Try checking if this points slows down your phone.

4. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Senior Member

This sounds like an odd issue. I use multiple Android devices, old and new, Google and other brands, and have done for years and never had anything like this happen with an N66U, AC68U and now an AC86U.

If you haven't done this in a while and the devices are not on Android Pie, try clearing just the device's cache via the recovery menu (not the app cache via the settings > storage menu) and see how they perform after that. You'll need to search for instructions on how to do this, as it can differ between manufacturers.

5. doczenith1

doczenith1 Senior Member

I agree with MarkyPancake's recommendation but before that you might want to try and "forget" the wifi network and then rejoin it. Even if that works it's still a good idea to clear the device's cache (also called dalvik cache) via the recovery menu once a year or so.

6. agilani

agilani Senior Member

What are you 2.4ghz settings?

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!