What's new

Cell Phone tethered to router as a backup "WAN" link

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan-H

Regular Contributor
Apologies if this has been covered, I might be searching for the wrong thing.

I'm looking for some redundancy in case my ISP's network is down and was wondering if I could leverage a spare iphone in a tethered configuration.

I'm not sure how I might cobble this in to have a secondary backup "WAN link" that would only be available if the primary is down.

rather than as a bunch of specific questions, is this a "solved discussion" that I haven't found? I'm guessing I have a little home work to do but I'm not sure where to start.

tnx in advance.

I've done with this with an Android phone plugged into the USB port on my old Asus RT-AC68U router. I can't remember exactly how I set it up. I don't think I had it set up in failover mode. I think I just changed my primary WAN from WAN to USB. It worked though.

upload_2019-2-6_23-8-26.png

Thank you. I'll give this a try. I have an AC68U and I did not even know it was there or supported USB WAN or had a failover setting.