What's new

Centurylink wireless router suggestions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul in Seattle

New Around Here
Centurylink just recently installed their 1Gbe fiber service with an actiontec c3000a router. I was seeing an average of 200 up/down on wireless and roughly 250 on wired, so decided to buy this: Netgear RAX75. The wired/wireless performance was even worse hitting roughly 150down/ but 430 up on wireless (speedtest.net).

After reading some forums I realized the chipset didn’t agree with the PPPoE credentials, and after their tech support threw in the towel and suggested I return the router, I took the advice of somebody on the forum and picked up Asus RT-AC5400. Actually worse speeds at 146 down/195 up on wireless. Currently, I’m awaiting advanced tech support to call me to walk through the settings, though I’m getting prepared to try something different.

Curious, if I were to put in a https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-10x/ to handle all wired traffic as well as PPPoE and VLAN configuration, is it safe to assume I'd see a pretty dramatic improvement in wired traffic? If I simply plugged in the current Asus AC5400, would the speed of the wireless improve?

A colleague strongly recommended the Synology RT2600AC. A user on Reddit suggests it gets pretty impressive performance with the Centurylink Fiber.

Alternatively, was considering the AmpliFi Alien Wifi 6 by Ubiquiti as the specs seem pretty badass, though not sure I need to spend that type of money.

I've been working with Asus tech support who suggested (not surprisingly) to remove the Merlin firmware by resetting to factory settings. In addition, they suggested to turn off universal and explicit beamforming and separate out the three channels to test independently.
I completed the instructions, have power cycled Centurylink's ONT box and the Asus modem, and started running some tests. Using my WIFI 6 capable HP elitebook x360 830 g6, I utilized two online speed testing sites; SpeedTest.Net and Fast.Com.

Here are the results:
upload_2020-7-2_8-0-27.png