What's new

Cerberus Unleashed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
A preview of the three-headed beast has been unleashed.

THANKS !! Been waiting , hope this fixes the constant connection drops
So far it has not dropped connection , yet .

Last edited:
Still getting connection drops ? :-( oh well . have a week or 2 to play with it
Wow drops every 20 - 30 seconds ,

Last edited:
Still getting connection drops ? :-( oh well . have a week or 2 to play with it
Wow drops every 20 - 30 seconds ,

There's no reason why this would change in my firmware it's the exact same driver and SDK as in Asus's firmware, with the same technical limitations inherent to Smart Connect.

Disconnecting and reconnecting is what Smart Connect does, based on (far too many) various criteria at this time. If clients aren't able to transparently deal with the switches (personally I don't see how they could anyway, since the switch isn't instantaneous), then no amount of firmware tweaks/upgrade will change that. So right now, clients are probably constantly switched around as power management reduces/increases the link rate, or you stop/start transferring data. If the client is unable to handle that kind of switches back and forth, it will cause disconnections.

What little time I spent trying out Smart Connect quickly convinced me that the only reliable way to use this is to disable it, and manually chose which of the radios you want to connect to. Personally, I feel like Broadcom's XStream idea is very hackish, and I can't see the concept working reliably, not with the wide array of clients available out there. If you really want to keep this automated, then be prepared to spend a lot of time adjusting the current trigger rules.

Last edited:
I'm not using any smart connect , it was probably disconnecting every 30 seconds before . I was just not paying as close attention , nothing to do with your mods

I'm not using any smart connect , it was probably disconnecting every 30 seconds before . I was just not paying as close attention , nothing to do with your mods

So just to be clear, you disabled Smart Connect on your router, and are using three different SSIDs, correct? Because so far, all the disconnect issues were caused by Smart Connect. The underlying hardware is still your standard Broadcom chipset, so it should be fairly stable, unless you have a hardware issue.

yes , no smart anything , just using 3 separate radios with dif ssids , has nothing to do with smart or your mods . Sometimes it stays connected for 5-10 minutes sometimes 10 seconds before it drops .
I'm trying all kinds of combos of options on each band trying to see if it is a specific option , so far no luck .

So the problem has been tracked down to 1 bad wireless card , and one bad cable connecting to media bridge , strange both having the same drops , now seems pretty stable . Did a few 6 gb downloads and no drops .Maintains great connection rates , even works well with torrents 4 multi gb iso files all downloaded evenly split up bandwidth, no drops .

Still a warm running router , room is 65 deg and the top is warm , not hot but WARM , might run 2 slow revving 140mm fans under it during summer

Last edited:
Running RT-AC3200 on Alpha1, with Smart Connect turned off.

I'm was not experiencing any disconnects with Smart Connect turned off. And now with Alpha1, still no disconnects with Smart Connect turned off.

Everything appears to be ok...

One issue I saw with the Asus firmware (4129) under IPv6, the IPv6 DNS did not make any sense to me and I ended up forcing the Comcast standard FEED DNS'.

Now with ALPHA1, my DNS' show up as the Router IP Address (IPv4 and IPv6) despite the IPv6 DNS Setting, Connect to DNS Server Automatically being selected as Disable and the Comcast FEED servers being forced in there.

Is that the way it should be working? Shouldn't the FEED DNS Servers show up in my connection information as well?

Thanks,
MM

Up for 2 days 16 hours , so far no drops , connection is solid . Great connection rates transfer speeds .

in my firmware it's the exact same driver
o.png

I've had my RT-AC3200 for about 5 days now. Smart Connect is working great, after more than a few changes/iterations testing how it behaves in my home. The key is to limit the aggressiveness of the switching criteria. I still see popups in my phone where it feels the need to announce via a small text window "Connected to MYSSID" even though it was previously connected to MYSSID already. That's something that'll have to be worked out on the android side.

We do some heavy video streaming and gaming at night which would previously slow my RT-AC87R to a crawl, causing periodic wireless network dropouts. I should note that this happened with both stock and latest Merlin firmwares. I suspect it had something to do with the wireless processing bandwidth swamping the Quantenna firmware, as there is a lot of WIFI interference here as well. The RT-AC3200 shows no evidence of that, so my signals are far more stable.

Here are my Smart Connect settings.

Attachments

• Smart-Connect-config-resized.png
    Smart-Connect-config-resized.png
    30 KB · Views: 302

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!