What's new

Certain spot drops wireless and takes a long time to reconnect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

a-seus-am-i

Occasional Visitor
I have a certain location in my house where the wireless just seems to stop working and takes a long time to reconnect (like a minute or more). It doesn't disconnect me or anything and the wireless signal is fine at around -60'ish. Also if I disconnect/reconnect works fine. I'm guessing this has something to do with moving from one access point to another as I have 2. Is there a way to diagnose better what's happening and see what I can do to fix it? I've tried twiddling with the access points and moving them around but to no luck.

I'm running the latest release version of Merlin. The main router is an 86u and the access point is a 68u. This happens on my iphone11, iphoneSE, and laptop.

Thanks!

Location, location, location. It is about placement of the radio, channel, interference. Make sure that you have your Access Point placed on top of a desk or bookcase, you have it on a low congestion channel and that you are connecting in your case with “Band Steering”. That is allowing the router to move you either to the 5ghz or 2.4ghz by using the same SSID. There are better units out there like the Engenius EAP-1750h.

I've tried moving around both the router and AP and it didn't make much difference. In fact, I'm not sure if this is AP jump related anymore. I tried disabling the AP and it seems to still happen. Sometimes, only certain things will work like accessing local files and other times nothing seems to work at all. Any help on how to diagnose the problem would be great. I think this will take some more clues to figuring out what's possibly going on.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!