What's new

Change eth0 (wan) IP address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xusqui

New Around Here
Hello, neighbours and friends...

I would like to know if there is a way to permanently change the ip address of the eth0 interface. It actually has self-assigned IP 169.254.103.111 and I would like to permanently have 192.168.2.2.

I have tried with ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.2 but when restarted, the eth0 IP goes again to 169.254.103.111

Any clue on how to get what I want?

Thanks in advance

If your WAN is getting a 169.254 address that means it is not configured correctly.

Can you describe your WAN setup in more detail.

I have the same problem. The issue is that if you use PPPoE you cannot also set a static ip. Is there some alternative method for both to coexist? The purpose being that this allows access to the ADSL modem which is in PPPoE passthrough mode.

Thank in advance.

@Xusqui & @mihalski : You can try the following to access dsl modem web ui:

Step 1. Change your Modem ip to 192.168.0.1 (or desired)
Step 2. Go to LAN -> LAN IP. Make sure your Router is on a different subnet, by default It is. Click Apply.(Default ip adress will be 192.168.1.1)
Step 3. Go to WAN -> Internet Connection -> WAN IP Setting (section). Assign your Router an IP from the Modem's subnet: Switch Get the WAN IP automatically to No and set IP = 192.168.0.2 | Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 | Gateway = 192.168.0.1 and click Apply at the bottom.
Step 4. Test if you can Access the modem's interface. Open your browser and enter 192.168.0.1

#SOURCES
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Access-modem-Web-UI-on-WAN-port-(no-script)
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/modem-hostname.45541/

Cheers!

Are you sure you're doing ALL steps correctly (both modem and router side)?

It's not only setting that option to "no", you have to do some prior steps at modem-side in order to be able to "hook" it from router-side.

I'm using this method myself and its working flawlessly.

I'd took some screenshots for you:

Modem IP setting
hpcfEg7.jpg

Modem Encapsulation setting
X6J1r0g.jpg

Router WAN setting
oJBmlCo.jpg

Both devices coexisting
vog9SsJ.jpg

Hope they can help.

Cheers!

I just saw mihalski's post of Nov 17, 2018 : "I have the same problem. The issue is that if you use PPPoE you cannot also set a static ip. Is there some alternative method for both to coexist? The purpose being that this allows access to the ADSL modem which is in PPPoE passthrough mode".

My Tp-Link TL-WR841N router does have the facility to set a static IP in addition to the PPoE so the two definitely can co-exist.

With the TL-WR841N router on its default IP of 192.168.0.1 and a Comtrend V3030 VDSL modem on its own default IP of 192.168.1.1. the following PPoE setup on the router allows me to access the modem login at 192.168.1.1 from my PC without interrupting the ongoing PPoE:

TL-WR841N.PNG

Last edited: